• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

crockett and wife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just took delivery of Traditions crockett rifle :) , cast up some rb,cut patches etc and headed for the range to do some serious testing.Asked wife if she would like to accompany me, she said yes.At the range the rifle needs little adjustment at 25mts, just shooting a little high; off hand I shoot four sevens and an eight(palm sized group)Ask wife (who has only ever shot my lever action.22 a few times)if she would like a few shots to which she replies (with the sweetest smile) ...yes.I proceed to coach/instruct wife into the intricacy and mysteries of loading,stance, sighting ,triggerring etc of BP rifle shooting.Wife proceeds to put down a one and a half to two inch, five shot group- thee tens & two nines- with the three tens almost cloverleafing :shocked2: .She asks me if that was OK seeing as she missed the ten twice and got two nines...i quietly reply that yes, that was OK.Just as we are about to patch out the two targets some friends arrive and congratulate my wife on the palm sized group (four sevens and an eight- mine :( ) "great shooting for a first timer" :redface: ..... Guess I'll have to just practice more....at least the rifle looked good...so did the wife..zodd

My wife grew up shooting and hunting so she frequently shows me up. She's a tiny thing, 105lbs dripping wet so my blue ridge is all about she can shoot but she scores better than I.

My wife also has little shooting experience and is a good shot.Just tell your pals you tought her everything she knows.

You show the wife how to shoot and she shows you humility. Happens all the time. I taught mine to shoot archery and she did excellent, winning a state championship. Taught her to shoot guns and she did very well. Only problem is I then had to pay for new bows and new guns for her. But it was well worth it.

Don't take them fishing either...Been there as well!!!! :grin:

Males get there competitive juices up...Women just take their time and put them in nice small groups...

Seems like you're a great teacher, Zodd. Now all ya' gotta do is start followin' your own own advice.
Bob

Now you know why there are two Crocketts in our rack. After letting my wife shoot mine, I had to go buy another so I could have a turn.

congratulation to both of you. You shot well for the first few shots out of anew gun, and your wife obviously had an excellent shooting coach! Its nice to see men involve their wives in the sport. So what if they out shoot you once in awhile. I know a couple where she is usually the first one to get a deer in deer camp every year. Takes the pressure off of him so he can hunt for the big bucks. Of course, she has taken several large bucks just sitting at the edge of camp on a tree stump, while all the guys are out up to 2 miles away searching for their bucks. But, it fills the freezer, and she is always in the mood to celebrate the night she fills her tag. That alone makes it worth while teaching the wife to shoot, so she can be there in camp with you during those overnights.

I took my wife out deer hunting, and we got to her deadfall stand earlier than we anticipated. She would not let me leave her in the dark, as she was cold, so we snuggled together, and one thing led to another, and, well, before we knew it, the sun had come up, she wasn't cold any more, and I needed to get to my stand a couple of hundred yards away! About 15 minutes after I got to my stand, she fired a shot at the biggest buck anyone has ever seen. I finally sneaked over to see if she was okay, and caught sight of this huge buck, still standing and looking for her, just as she fired a second shot that went under his belly. He took off running, and put a huge tree between me, and him, and escaped as she fire a third round at him that went over his back. His hooves were more than 4 inches long, and about 4 inches wide. I counted 5 long tines on the main beam, just on the right side, and could not count points on the brow tines, or the left side antler. But, assuming he had two brow tines, and similar points on the left antler, he was at minimum a 12 point buck, and vvery old. Mywife simply got buck fever because he was so huge, and walked up so close to her. She just had not expected that to happen. The day before she had sat out all morning and saw no deer at all. I got a small buck later in the season, so we had meat that year. She was hooked on hunting, however, and that was worth the time I spent teaching her to shoot, and taking her out hunting. She also learned to read tracks, and used that skill on several different occasions later.

Zodd, I would bet most of us have a similiar story to yours. I'm curious what percentage of our wives, especially the ones that rarely shoot, will walk out, and out shoot us on just about any day. :surrender:

P.S. I let mine win!

Hi I havent got my wife out with the black powder yet we have two small ones 3 months and a2 1/2 year old . but I took her out with the 22 ruger pistol a few times before we were married and she usualy out shot me. I think my mined was not in the game if you know what I meen, any whay just my 2 cents Regards Dave T. :hatsoff:

That'll learn yuh, ya don't teach someone with no macho tendencies to shoot! They jest keep doin' what they wuz told and never miss. :nono:

....start markin the can of powder.. the wifes have a secret Black Powder Club. they only shoot ur guns when ur at work or out some where.....its a conspiracy i tell u........... :rotf: :rotf:
im serous about marking the can tho.. my ex started to use the gunpowder to light fire in the fireplace before i got home from work last winter, crazier than i thought that girl....when i found out she told me the fire would light properly untill she found out about the cans in the tool room....then she had a blazing hot in no time.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Thought you might like a photo or two of the wifes second excursion to the range yesterday with MY (read MINE!)crockett rifle, she was shooting 25 meters offhand.Check out the groupings in the photo with the target,this is only the second time she has ever shot bp.Also note the pipes holding the ramrod, I cut down some .44 cases& they clip over real snug to jazz things up a little bit.I my self did not shoot yesterday as i now feel my true genius may lay in coaching :rotf: ---zodd
DSC04785.jpg
[/img]
DSC04787.jpg
[/img]

Hey Zodd, Where in Australia is that range?....looks familiar.
Looks like you've got a bonza sheila there, goodonya mate!

All the best,
An ex-Croweater.

Back