• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

custom guns/Barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tajue17

40 Cal.
Reaction score
if you guys have a gun made or have a custom barrel done say by Getz, Greenmountain,ect. is there a perfect slow twist rifling for a ball gun? I was told the slower the better, and does barrel length fall into this?

I have a 50cal T/C Hawken that I want to get a better barrel for or even have this one re-rifled to a bigger bore (if they do that) thanks for any info, Ted

The Englishman Forsyth, (John....Alexander?...I've forgotten his first name!!), was an advocate of very slow twists and large powder charges for round ball but I don't believe his theorys and applications came into effect until 10 or 12 bore. If you can come across some back issues of Double Gun Journal Ross Seyfried covers Forsyths rifles at length.

As far as 50-62 caliber I think one is well served with a twist of 1-66 thru 1-72.

Vic

Call TC Arms Fox Ridge Store in New Hampshire at 1-800-243-4570, option #3...suggest you ask for Ms. Rae DesRosiers and don't bother with anyone else if she's off that day, etc...just call back later...tell her you want one WITHOUT the QLA feature.

TC's round ball barrel's are available in either percussion or flintlock, .50 & .54cal, 1:66" twist, .010" grooves, an outstanding adjustable rear sight on the round ball barrels, lifetime warranty...I have a few and every one is extremely accurate.

Howdy, Your request for info is kinda like asking what color hair would the perfect woman have....I am new to this forum, but have roughly 40 years on the muzzleloading scene, and dont feel I should expound my theories until I am more acquainted. Having said that, I will refer you to Tip Curtis at Frontier Gun Shop 1-615-654-4445. Tip has been around much longer than I have, and is/was a champion shooter. He sells drop in barrels for many "store bought " muzzleloaders and I find him to be the most knowledgeable source around when weighing all the factors involved in selecting a barrel....be it custom or factory. Offhand, I'd say that the requirements you want to meet must be tempered by the type shooting you intend to do. Slower twist barrels digest larger powder charges more easily and are more forgiving of varied loads. Faster twist barrels,as a general rule, need less powder and possibly prove the better choice for close up target work.

Latest posts

Back