• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cutting board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARGUY

32 Cal.
Reaction score
it's been 30 some years from high school. my question is this when we made cutting boards we used boiled linseed oil is it safe to eat off of for cutting deer meat

If it's a 30 year old cutting board then I'd say yer safe.
But if it's a new cutting board just treated with "boiled" linseed oil,then don't. It's the varied "drying" agents we don't really know about now adays.

Glued lamination boards are fine, as long as the face grain is available and pre-dominant. We treat our raw cutting boards with "mineral oil" or just plain "vegetable oil" in this neck of the woods, and do use soap and water too wash after every use. After all, the air ain't as clean nor the water as pure ,as it was 200 yrs ago. Yet with just a little care,we all do just fine.

luck to ya,

I would use the Mineral oil, but not the Veg. oil. It will go rancid over time and I have found that very true after storing my cutting boards for a period of time.

I use my cutting board most' daily,just makin food an such,, storing boards mite be a bit differnt ::

Ther' ye go sumtacks, more ya use it the better it gits, and ne'r will it git rotten on ya's. Anymor fer the kitchen ye better off with them plastic ones and the only wood one I got is the bread board.

Regards, sse.

Ty for the saftey posting LEJ,,
But do you use that solution of bleach and water?? Daily?

I use Sesame oil to treat all of my treen ware. cutting boards, wooden spoons, bowls, noggins and the like. Love that woody nutty smell, and have yet to see it go rancid. :m2c:

Back