• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cutting dovetails in barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekiar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Where is a good place to purchase a dovetail cutting tool for my milling machine? Also what is the most common size? Thanks in advance, Sekiar

Size is less important than the angle. ML sights vary a lot in size. You can cut a dovetail with a hacksaw and file in the time it takes to set up a mill to do it. 1/32" deep is enough, and I would guess not over 1/16" in the extreme.

I tried that once. I had a piece of aluminum bar stock to practice on. The dovetail cutter never made it to the receiver of that Japanese rifle, which it surely wouldn't have scratched. Cuttin' 'em by hand is probably faster with the jig. :curse:

please be very careful when cutting dovetails ,that you dont get then too deep. i have a pistol,or should i say pieces, that exploded from weakness caused by a too deep dovetail..

J&L Industrial Supply sells them cheaper than Brownells. Goggle them and it'll lead you right to J&L. I've bought plenty of things from them.

They called one year and asked why I hadn't bought anything and whether I had found another vendor. I told them I was buying hand tools for woodworking and hadn't bought anything to touch metal with. :haha: Eventually, I did order some files (they're great for Nicholson files) and emery paper.

Latest posts

Back