• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Bolster Screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA .50 cal. Kentucky. Lately, I have had a problem with the bolster screw coming out after firing about three shots. All of sudden it is just gone. I screwed them in tight and I think they might be popping out. Is that possible? Does anyone know why I might be losing the bolster screws when I fire the rifle?

I assume you are refering to the cleanout screw in the drum. If it is poping out the threads are probably burned out.Loctight on the threads WILL NOT WORK as the heat will cause it to fail after several shots.You could tap it out to the next larger size if there is enough metal. I have a DeVanderval breech plug in my target rifle and had a simular problem but since there was no extra metal to allow tapping out to a larger screw I solved the problem by silver soldering the clean out screw in place. Since I never used it this presented no problem.

Logan,
I believe that the CVA uses metric screws. If you are not using metric, they may feel as if they are tightening but in reality are not and are coming out under recoil. It's a definite maybe.
Mark

There are several different screws that could be called a "bolster screw".

Rather than call it a "bolster screw" can you describe what it is supposed to be doing when it is working like it should?

In the meantime, I'll say that I've seen quite a few Spanish screws that are poorly made. Either that or the holes they screw into are poorly tapped making them oversize.
In either case there is very little engagement between them. This is fairly obvious when a person can screw the screw into the hole and it shakes around a lot.

If this describes your rifles screws, and assuming that you don't have a dial or vernier caliper to measure the actual size of the male screws threaded area the best suggestion I can think of is to take the lock? to a hardware store which sells metric screws. Then try a new screw in the tapped holes. If it fits slightly loose but not enough to rattle around buy the new screws, cut them to the length of the old screws and use them.

If the new screws fit as loosely as the old screws did the hole was either tapped oversize or it is worn out.
The only solution to that kind of problem is to retap the holes for a larger screw.

Could be something as simple as an 8-32 screw in a 10-32 threaded hole. That'd do it.

Back