• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I got kind of cold tues with a wind chill of 10 degrees (pretty cold for here in ET)thought I would stay home wed and go out again thurs ,wife said have to go to a meeting thurs morning so ok I drop her off at her meeting since she is handi capped and don't like to drive. get back to the house and grab my old restored CVA Hawken with the 54 cal barrel from Tip Curtis hurry back into the woods settle into my old camp chair now it is 12 noon, set and watch squirrels listen to falling leaves ,then I hear pawning in the leaves slowly turn around to my left view is partially blocked by a small cedar tree can only see leggs about 20 feet from me keep watching and this buck is feeding on acorns he keeps feedin slowly out away from me and turns broadside ,I very slowly put the sights on him by this time he is at about 20 yds and fire he takes off down hill but not on a dead run about 40yds and he is down, the shot cut the top of the heart off,he had a fairly big main beam but was only a 4 point, field dressed 120 lbs.This was the eighth buck I have saw this yr but was the only time I have had a good shot opprotunity I don't take chancey shots.Now reg gun season opens today but the butcher shops are already over loaded so will wait a few before goin again.Load 80 grns FFg Goex Mink oil lubed pillow tick patched round ball.

Good on you glad to read someone is filling the meat pole, 10 degrees here this AM been cold all season so far,, thaw, then freeze, difficult to move around ,noisy That and old age has made some smarter,,not a lot just some,,,,,difficult to get to far away from the stove when the wind is howling and the temp is way down...

JohnI sent you a pt you may want to see,about a gun you have been looking for.

Back