• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA FRONTIER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
How is this rifle for everyone, i just purchaced one and it looks like new, has double triggers and a blond stock, 50 caliber. i hear they are real accurate . any input will be appreciated.

It was a .50 CVA Frontier that got me hooked. :)
Mine has a single trigger and a 24" (I think) barrel. Accurate shooter with 70 grains of 2F and a PRB.
It didn't like Pyrodex RS. Lots of missfires. Did much better with Pyro P. Really lots better with real black.

I just could not pass on it, it is a nice rifle for my wife to get into black powder with.

I bought a CVA Frontier kit back in 1979 and sized it down for one of my son's to shoot and it was a real tack driver! ... Nice little smokepole!

Rick

how would you tell if this was a kit gun,? would it have a "K" like Thompson Center in the Serial no. The wood stock looks nice but you pull the barrel and it looks like pine.

The stock is not pine. I believe its Beech which is a hardwood.

I don't recall any of the old CVA kits I built back in the '70's having any special marking to show they were kits.

If the gun was assembled with some care it probably doesn't make much difference in accuracy or price.

Depending on when it was made the lock may have a bridle supporting the tumblers outer end or it may not.
The early guns did not have this so the area of the tumbler that is furthermost from the lockplate just sticks out into space.
(The tumbler is the rotating part inside the lock that the mainspring pushes against).

The early locks without a bridle tend to wear out rather easily if their tumbler pivot is not kept lubricated where it passes thru the lockplate.

The later CVA (Ardesa) locks with a bridle can last for a long time if they are kept lubricated.

Long ago, I built a CVA Frontier and my only complaint was its light weight seemed to magnify the recoil of a stout powder load.

So does having a double trigger(set) make you believe it is a older or new model ?? do they still sell this model? my brother put one together from a kit years ago, and had taken a lot of deer with it and he to said it will kick the snot out of you with 90 grains 777, and maxi-ball :doh:

While my boy has shot the 50 caliber barrel that came with his very little. I mounted a 45 caliber barrel in his and the rifle has won many matches as well as accounted for several deer. :idunno:

My older .50 caliber CVA Hunter-Hawken Carbine with a 24-inch barrel weighs just 6½ pounds. My deer load consisting of 65 grains of FFFg Swiss with a round, patched .490 Hornady swagged rifle ball on top of a vegetable fiber wad between the Swiss black powder and the rifle ball.

This load shoots through a deer at 75 yards and makes tight, inter-locking 3-leaf clover shaped groups at 25 yards.

Using only 65 grains of FFFg Swiss, the recoil isn't bad at all. You don't need those big powder loads for deer with a .50 caliber rifle, but you probably should limit your hunting/shooting range to 80 yards or less.

Jus' my 2¢... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I will be taking it out this weekend and see how she shoots, i plan on trying 60-70 grains rs pyrodex and my cast round ball with .015 patch and hope it shoots good, does any one use the REAL bullet in theirs ? i am going to work on a load for the 375 maxi-ball for deer hunting also.

Every one have a sake and wonderful easter....

10_point said:
Every one have a sake and wonderful easter....

Love to, but I quit drinking. Otherwise, I used to enjoy Sake occasionally! :haha:

Seriously, you have a safe and happy Easter as well..

Well i shot it today about 30 times with round ball and REAL bullets, this shoots all over the place, :cursing: even while shooting it the brass thimbles fell off and also the front stock brass cap also fell off to, i was surprised how cheap this thing is made. :idunno: looks like i will have to repair this gun now. I also have a TC Hawkins and like the workmanship of that compared to the CVA . i guess i will be doing some thinking about this rifle. :doh:

10_point said:
the brass thimbles fell off and also the front stock brass cap also fell off to,,,, looks like i will have to repair this gun now.
Good practice for ya.
When I get a used rifle (like most of my rifles)
I go through everything, every screw, pin and fit of everything long before it's shot. You can never really know what the previous owner(s) did or did not do.
I've had to repair stripped out screw holes more than once.

That's half the fun of this hobby for me, taking an olde rifle that someone else thinks is a hunk of junk, or in distress because of neglect and abuse and making it shoot.

dont get me wrong, but the fasteners cva used is like cheap tiny little screws and also the ram rod lugs are held on by 1 complete thread that is in brass and it strips out so easy, and it seems more i shoot ,the more the fasteners are working loose even after checking, is what i did before i first shot it. glad my TC Hawkins is not this way. But like you all say it takes work. I am really surprized cause it is such a nice rifle and all, not even a scratch in the stock or barrel.

I put a .50 CVA Frontier together back in about "79".I have liked it from the first shot . Since I am a carbine fan this Frontier is my style . Like it so much I bought Frontier Hunter in .54 cal. . Hunter has the laminated stock and adjustable rear sight . My kit gun has primitive style sights and I left the barrel in the white .
Stick with it and you should have a good shooter as long as the barrel is good . Try a different patch thickness with the .390 ball

like i said the gun is in excellant shape, like new the barrel is perfect, just not happy with a few parts but will repair it. and see how it goes. you say i can get a laminated stock for it? where can i look to get one? it just seems the beech wood is the wrong wood for this gun. thanks to all....

Beech wood is used in a lot of firearms, both muzzle loading and modern. ___ Not the prettiest grained wood, but very serviceable. Many a military rifle also had beech wood stocks before the Tupperware stocks came around.

I think your rifle is a rare example, because all of the CVA rifles and kits I have handled and seen over the years have been pretty decently made!

I'm not a fan of shooting REAL type or maxi-balls in any muzzle loading gun, because of the highly increased chamber pressures.

One other thing I like to do, is replace any brass screws from any production guns or kits with steel screws! ... Got tired of fixing someone else's screw up!

Rick

Just my 2cents but 90gr. of 777 behind a Maxi ball sure sounds like and overload to me in a light rifle and if you shoot it you deserve to get the snot kicked out of you. Lucky something didn't or won't come loose. I mean not only gun parts but you eyes or shouldblade could be damaged from the recoil.
Fox :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back