• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle Age?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a CVA Mountain Rifle yesterday and am trying to figure out when it was made and if it is a Spanish gun or maybe one of the guns that came from Deer Creek when I think they had obtained the barrel making equipment from Douglas. It is a 50 caliber cap ignition, has no proof markings on the barrel, does not say Made in the USA. It has a serial number of 0080802. I don't know what kind of wood it is but is a very pretty darker cherry color. Not the lighter brown birch color that I have seen so many of the CVA rifles come with. It has the aluminum tips on the ram rod ( That I just now broke). I am cleaning up the inside and outside of the barrel and looking forward to putting it through the paces to see what it is capable of. I have gone through a bunch of old post here trying to figure if this is a USA or Spanish made gun. Thanks in advance for any info ya all might be able to provide me! Greg. :)

Yours has an earlier serial number than mine and I bought mine new in probably around 1980 or 81. Mine is also .50cal percussion and is not marked with place of manufacture. The only barrel markings other than the serial number are "Connecticut Valley Arms,Inc. Black Powder Only .50cal" I have always assumed the wood was maple. I know it's not birch.

Sounds like our rifles are twins as those are the only markings on my barrel as well and it does look like the wood is maple, just didn't know if it was. Nice looking for sure. Thanks for your input. Greg

Hi Greg, great topic for a new MR owner even if its one that many old hands have kinda given up on arguing over.

Much as i've read about the subject of dating CVA MR's and where their barrels were made and when....darned if i know. Lots of subject matter online about it but in the end i think much of it is heresay or opinions...which is all i have to add myself.

My current Mountain rifle was a Deercreek kit gun. It has no markings on the barrel at all, cept for ".45". Other than that nothing. This is the one i had kinda thought may have been made on the Douglas machines as its a newer gun, sold in the 90's i believe. Its a kinda odd rifle..the lock appears to be made of copper although its an alloy of some sort. The triggerguard is aluminum alloy and the stock was an obvious kit guns stock. The buttplate, patchbox and nosecone are similar to other late 70's or early 80's MR's..these were older parts that deercreek bought from CVA i think. The gun is a hodgepodge of parts it seems. Its a favorite shooter though, came from a friend and when refinished in brown and truoil turned out to be a looker.

All the other CVA's i've had were numbered, lettered, stamped and marked. These were guns from the later 70's to the late 80's. I believe all of them were spanish barreled..one was the 1st generation "made in USA" model with the double fingered guard and octagon thimbles, 4 screw patchbox etc.. even this one i now question as having a Douglas barrel. I used to be certain it was.

One thing for sure, nothing wrong with those spanish barrels, both the 1st and 2nd generation guns are shooters, a fantastic designed rifle. The slow twist makes them perfect for roundballs and i've not heard many (or any?) complain about their Mountain Rifle. My .45 has been my go-to for 2 deer seasons now and even though i've messed around with many other various 70-80's production rifles i've not found a single one (maybe one) i'd rather carry in the woods, admire and drop the hammer on. Hope you enjoy yours as much as i have mine. Jeff.

Next time your significant other isn't watching, sneak into the kitchen and pull one of those silly magnets off of your refrigerator.

Take it into your gun room and try to stick it onto your MR's lock.

I'm betting it sticks and the "copper" lock is actually made out of steel. :)

Don't forget to put the refriderator magnet back exactly where you found it.
Significant others are very good at noticing small things that are "out of place".

"JONNY? HAVE YOU BEEN TOUCHING MY STUFF AGAIN?" :rotf:

She just headed off to bed.

I grabbed the fridge magnet and went into my gun room.

It stuck!

I put the magnet back exactly where i got it from.

Sure is a pretty lock. :applause: Thanks Zonie, i always wondered what those magnets were good for. :thumbsup:

I am sure looking forward to playin around with this MR. I'm not really worried about where it was made as it does indeed have a certain appeal to it that I just can't resist. It's going to have to shoot mighty good to beat out the others in the herd tho. After reading quite a few threads it sure seems that the only real consistent information I have found is that these are good shooters and the USA ones were early production. I wonder how many MR were produced? Thanks for the replies guys! Greg. :)

I don't have a clue how many were produced Greg but do know they seem to be really jumping in value. My 1st was about 125.00..next about 225. and i forget the one after that..paid close to 300.00 for this last one. I make a local pawn shop sweep at least once a month and i'd be lying if i didn't say i am looking first and foremost for Mountain rifles.. they're not so common as they used to be. :wink: Look forward to your range report . J.

Funny you should mention your pawn shop ventures as I was driving past a pawn shop when I was traveling in Wisconsin heading out to a eat with the wife and on a whim decided to pull in and check them out. I have been looking for a MR for a couple of months now and low and behold..... there it was! Walked out of there a proud owner of said rifle and two more knives for my collection!! Love when that happens! Greg. :)

Good to know Flint. Guess I haven't seen any go that high before but I am guessing the 54's must be a little more scarce! Will have to keep my eyes open for a 54 and a 45 !! Greg. :)

Flint62Smoothie said:
FWIW a mint CVA Mountain rifle in 54-cal just sold on 21Jan2015 for $485 on the Gun Broker auctions!

I was gonna bid if it stayed under $450.00, thats was my top price....almost had me one, was sure a nice lookin rifle!

$485.00 is a bit high it seems but on the other hand..."mint" and ".58" are both 100.00 words when talking MT Rifles. These frontloaders have to be one of the most valued production guns of the modern era. CVA did good when they planned that one.

Congrats Greg on finding one and hopefully at a very fair price.
You've prompted me to make my sweep of local sellers again..might have to stop by a couple today.. :)

It has the two screw brass patch box. The but plate is a dark steel as well as the trigger guard. Nose cap and wedge pin trim is that pewter color. I have not been able to post pics from my smart phone. It is too smart for this old dog! Greg. :)

I wonder if anyone knows the age by serial number. The .50 MR I just got last weekend is a "Made in USA", with the two screw brass patchbox and otherwise iron furniture, except for the brass escucheons for the lock screws and the pewter nose cap. It has a 48,xxx serial number. According to some here, it shouldn't be like that, but it is and it looks factory made.

I know some manufacturers run different serial numbers for different models, but many run the same line of serial numbers for everything they build. Perhaps any of you that know when yours was made or sold could give their approx. serial number and we could estimate age that way?

Hello. If you write me all brands carrying the barrel of the mountain rifle, I can tell the year of manufacture, if it is manufactured in Spain. There is a letter and a number indicating the year that passed through the Tested Eibar' House (Guipúzcoa, Spain). A greeting.

Thank you Hermano,,
But in the case of the CVA Mountain Rifle, the barrels where indeed made in Spain but shipped to the USA before they where breeched.
That way they where just metal tubes and didn't require proof stamping.
It was a sneeky thing, a way to get around the law/rules at the time.

Back