• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mt. Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just acquired a Flintlock CVA Mt. rifle in great shape from a local shop for $175.00. The lock does not seem to be of the best quality from what I have read so I am thinking of changing it out with a L&R replacement. Will this be a simple drop in replacement or will there be some fitting required?
thanks

Maybe you should try it out before you jump to conclusions. CVA locks were kind of ify but it seems I heard the Mountain rifles had better locks. They were the best guns CVA put out. Changing locks should be too had if you get the right one but probably will require some minor fitting.

Minimal fitting would be required but that is how you want it for a good fit. I bought an L &R replacement percussion lock and it seemed to be miles in front of the CVA one.

Another option would be to upgrade your springs?

Yes, IIRC our community believed it was the mainspring (on the Spanish-made guns) that was the weak-link in the chain. Quite serviceable, but it was still the part with the shortest mean time to failure.

I don't know if it would be a simple drop in or not, but I would do the swap. The Mountain rifle used the same lock as the other early CVA's and they are not a very good lock.

Agree with Mooman. The Mountain Rifle locks were a better lock than any of the locks on their single-trigger guns. Because of the set triggers they were constructed with a bridle and fly. My percussion Mt. Rifle lock is still going strong after over 25 years. Admittedly the flintlocks were more problematic, but I would play around with it a little before rushing out to spend another $150. If you do wind up replacing it, the L&R is an excellent choice and will result in an excellent rifle.

My experience with CVA flintlocks has not been good. I went through three frizzens. I had the last one resoled. The back side was so sloppy that I regularly took the main spring on and off with my hands. At the end the main spring stayed in place only when in the mortice and the spring was held by the barrel. The frizzen wobbled badly from side to side. No matter how the flint was installed, the frizzen would line up with it.

Back in the '70s when I was fighting this lock, there was no drop-in replacement. I installed a mule ear lock and made the gun percussion.

You may have better luck with your lock; it wouldn't take much to improve on my experience. I would shoot the lock before I swapped it out, but I would not fight it as long as I did. You deserve a good lock.
Regards,
Pletch

I have firsthand experience with three of the Mountain rifle flintlocks. None had a good enough pan fit to keep priming powder in, took a ridiculously short flint or they would hold the frizzen open, very slow lock time, all had very weak mainsprings which quickly got weaker. Very poor dull sparks when they did spark. Certainly give yours a try, but I would be prepared for a swap!

CVA Mountain rifle is a great rifle. I am not sure about the quality of the lock on your rifle but If I were you I would advise you to jry it before you spend money on a new one. If it sparks good and you are happy with it, there is no need to spend the extra money. now, if you are not happy with it then by all means go for the L&R "drop in" I have used several of them and have just installed one on a T.C. Hawken stock. With that being said, I will tell you that it will have to be fitted. It is not really a drop in lock. I have always had to do some modification . L&R does furnish instructions and a template.

Trying the lock before replacing is good advice. I know CVA had problems in the distant past however I just bought a new CVA lock from Deer Creek Products for a 50 caliber CVA Hawken that I converted from percussion. The new lock came in and I expected some tweaking to get it right.

After cleaning the shipping grease/oil out of it, I was surprised at the fit & finish. The pan to frizzen fit was so close I couldn't see any light through it. Even with a T/C sawn flint it sparks like crazy and it's every bit as fast as any of my other flintlocks.

The rifle fires every bit as fast as a percussion gun, I'm very happy with it.

Bought one of the CVA Mtn. rifles for $150. The spanish lock was junk. Replaced it with an L&R lock. It required fitting.

after going to shoots over 30 yrs. anyone who had a cva flint had worlds of trouble. the l and r requires inletting the main spring. not much work just trial and error and patience.

Back