• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldbloke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have an old cva 50 cal in good nick. Currently getting about 2" groups at 40 yards. But open sights no longer suit my tired eyes. So I would like to fit a large peep for hunting. (About 1/4")

Open to DIY designs or new purchase.

Attachments

• CVA 1.jpeg
    CVA 1.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 82
  • CVA 2.jpeg
    CVA 2.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
Use the search feature at the upper right hand edge of the screen to search for Peep Sight. You will find far more information than I can enter in one post.

I have found that punching a 1/8 to 1/4" hole in a piece of black electrical tape and putting that on your shooting glasses will act like a diopter sight and clear up the sights.

But you want a peep sight for hunting. There are many threads on the Forum that discuss all the options for a hunting peep sight.

I have used the search option.

Can't really find anything to fit the CVA. Seems to me the tang is too short. Starting to think about screwing one to the stock. Do people do this?

Can't really find anything to fit the CVA. Seems to me the tang is too short. Starting to think about screwing one to the stock. Do people do this?
Here is a link to some peep sights. You may or may not like em. Marlin peep sights. There are peeps for Thompson center on this sight. Might be one that works for your situation.

I’ve owned two CVA’s that had peeps installed on them. And yes, both were screwed to the stock.

This is the Johnson peep sight in this quoted post. As you can see, the sight is fitted to the dovetail and is a bit further forward than I like for a peep sight.

While I have not used that particular sight, I do have a barrel mounted peep on two of my flintlocks with the peep being way back on the breech (see pic below). With a .125" peep hole I have very good results. Some people's eyes may allow even a smaller hole. One issue with using the flip up bar on your suggested sight is with it being further away from your eye, I'm not sure how much it might change your cheek weld as you raise and lower it. As you can see on my "fixed" peep below, it's low on the barrel so I can keep my normal cheek weld and see through the peep just fine.

What has NOT worked for me are the "peeps" that install well up the barrel where a normal v-notch type rear sight would be mounted.

This is a Johnson peep sight I installed a dovetail on so I could get a little windage adjustment, if needed. Elevation on this gun is handled via filing the front blade.

16125075354_94b92936e7_z.jpg

I have an old cva 50 cal in good nick. Currently getting about 2" groups at 40 yards. But open sights no longer suit my tired eyes. So I would like to fit a large peep for hunting. (About 1/4")

Open to DIY designs or new purchase.
You might consider drilling and tapping for an 8-32 screw just forward of the tang screw. Then fit a Skinner peep into that hole. Voila’! It’s not adjustable for windage but your front sight can be driven left or right as needed.

Back