• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Plainsman .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was planning on buying parts to make a rifle. I have about 1/3 of a CVA rifle in parts laying around so I figured I would shop for some parts.

Ended up just buying the whole rifle. Figured if the barrel is crud I now have the parts I was going to buy anyways and more parts to add to my parts pile; and if the barrel is good I have a new Plainsman and still only have 1/3 of a CVA rifle in parts.

Anyone have one of these? Not much about them I can find other than it is basically a poor mans CVA St. Louis Hawken.

OK...so that is a resounding no.

I knew it was an obscure rifle when I couldn't find much on it. But I figured someone might have one in the safe.

Should get to me in a few days. Gonna strip it down then re-stain the stock, probably re-blue the barrel.

I'll try and remember to take some pictures for a before and after.

I was going to say it is the same as the old 1970's CVA Frontier but I looked up the CVA Plainsman on the web (using Google) and looked at the pictures of it.

The old Frontier was basically a lower cost CVA "Hawken" with a single trigger and a plainer stock.

The Plainsman's I saw didn't have a barrel under-rib with thimbles on it for the ramrod like the Frontier does.
Instead it had a stand-off thimble for the ramrod.

It also didn't have the Frontier's brass entry cap that is similar to the CVA Hawken entry cap.

The plain plastic flat butt pad was also much cheaper than the brass butt plate the Frontier had.

I'm sure the Plainsman is a good rifle, especially for someone on a low cost budget but I can see why some used gun dealer was only asking $100 for the one he was selling.

Zonie said:
The old Frontier was basically a lower cost CVA "Hawken" with a single trigger and a plainer stock.

Just to clarify, that's actually the Frontier Carbine, 24" barrel with a single trigger. I have a Frontier rifle, the barrel is 4" longer than the Carbine and it has double triggers and a bridle and fly on the lock.

I guess the Frontier was a more affordable alternative to their Hawken and the Frontier Carbine was a more affordable alternative to the Frontier.:hmm:

Cynthialee said:
Yeah I got the one I picked up for $90 for the rifle and $25 in shipping.
$115 isn't bad for a basic rifle.

Sounds like a good deal. Looking forward to a range report. :thumbsup:

Back