• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutshurt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all.. first off I'm new here, and I would like to say thanks for the welcome :)

I just finished a rifle for my wife to shoot at the rendezvous this year, I had bought a CVA 50 youth hunter at a pawn shop 5 years ago to see if we would like shooting them....well we did :) since then I bought two TCs one renegade 50 cap lock, and a Hawken 50 flint. The CVA was not allowed at rondys though, it had some plastic & rubber parts with an ugly Burch stock and it just sat in the corner of my closet all this time. My wife cant handle the heavy TCs... so I thought lets get some life out of the CVA, I got a few parts off the gun... the barrel, cap-lock, the tips off the ramrod, the wedge pin and plates and tang. I then won an unfinished Maple frontier stock, butt plate, jukar trigger plate and trigger, and nose cap.

I then forged a trigger out of some 1/8" mild steel and replaced the brass one in the trigger plate, I had a casting off an old rifle of a trigger guard, made a hickory ramrod from some flooring boards I have laying around, made the rod guides from some heavy bronze tubing, and the guide posts from 1/4' square cold rolled steel. I filled the original rod guide dovetail.

After all the fitting, shaping and sanding I stained the stock with Mahogany gel stain and sealed it with clear shellac then steel wooled to a satin finish. I then solderd the gides and posts to the barrel and reblued. Anyway heres some pics of what it turned into.

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

Darrel/cutshurt

The CVAs I've ran across have been good shooters. I bet your wife is happy with this one :thumbsup:

Thanks guys :) it shoots better then I can shoot it :wink: I hope she will like shooting it, shes been watching me rebuild it the whole time and I caught her holding it the other day before it was finished. Shes visiting her sister for a few days now and will be back sometime today, so she hasn't seen it done,I'm going to give it to her after shes had a chance to sit down and relax after the drive home.

This is the first build I have done and I think I'm hooked, I want to work on a full kit next. I have all the brass parts for a Lancaster, just need a stock blank, lock and barrel. I can forge a trigger and plate. I want to make it with a short barrel length for the thick MN woods. This next one will be for me :grin:

Darrel

Back