• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Shotgun Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob04

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on this site. I bought a CVA 12 gauge SxS blackpowder shotgun (percussion) and am looking for some information. There is not a model name or model number on the shotgun. On the top of the rib, it says

Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc
Blackpowder Only 12 Gauge Spain SHOTGUN

There is a serial number printed there too. Could this be a version of the CVA Trapper?

Also, I am not sure what caps to use, #11?

One last thing, the left trigger pull isn't too bad, but the trigger pull for the right barrel is really heavy. Is there anything I can do to lighten it, or should I buy a new lock? Thanks for your help.

Rob

It is not a Trapper, as that is a single shot. As for loads a light load would be 70 grs of 2f powder and 1 oz of shot. Med load 80 grs of powder and 1 1/8 oz. Heavy load 90 grs of 1 1/4 oz. Use #11 caps. As for the trigger pull on the right trigger, you might pull the lock and see if anything is rubbing on wood, or try loosening the lock screws and see if that helps. Try less powder than shot for tighter patterns.

Hi BarMD, I have one that is just like the CVA model but its not marked Cva on the rib, I found one in a shop that is identical to mine and is marked Cva I think Dixie may have sold these years ago . Anyhow I agree with Rebel I need to keep the forward lock screw a bit loose for the left side of mine to work nice and as he said check to see if its rubbing on wood some where. I also had to trim the leg of the sear's down because of them rubbing each other. Hope this helps

Sounds like you got you a real gun. I think your lock tention is telling. Inspect the spring on both sides. My quess is one is broken or about to go. I believe that CVA is no longer making side lock guns and have no replacement parts. I hope you will pursue this question and write back. If you can't get the spring then I'd replace both locks, entirely. However, I would suggest to you, that there could be some parts out there somewhere. If you find a source, refurbish and rebuild both sides. Oh, let us know how she shoots!

Back