• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Trigger Replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Lightle

40 Cal
Reaction score
My best friend has a CVA Hawken with set trigger.He bought it new many years ago and completely shot the barrel out and had it bored to smooth bore.Trigger is completely worn out as it will not hold cock.Parts or replacement whichever one can be made to happen.Any help would be appreciated,He has killed lots of animals with it so he really wants to get it shooting again.

Last I looked they were sold out of those triggers.

A single trigger could be made for it or the existing set trigger can be modified to a single trigger.

My best friend has a CVA Hawken with set trigger.He bought it new many years ago and completely shot the barrel out and had it bored to smooth bore.Trigger is completely worn out as it will not hold cock.Parts or replacement whichever one can be made to happen.Any help would be appreciated,He has killed lots of animals with it so he really wants to get it shooting again.
I suspect that the sear is worn out and not engaging in the full cock notch or the full cock notch in the tumbler has worn to the point tat the sear will no longer engage. The trigger is a lever that lifts the sear out of the full cock notch and the trigger is unlikely to be the problem.

Does the lock hold at full cock if it is removed from the lock mortise?

Okay, Sorry, I've had some internet issues. It's my gun. I believe it is the sear, it was grooved and bent. We tried to straighten it back with pliers {which I expected it to be brittle, but as it was bent thought we might as well give it a shot. It is soft.} straightening it improved but not consistently. Are there parts available? That set trigger is really nice when it worked. But maybe if it can be changed to a single trigger, I could still use it. It has more sentimental value of course but would still like to shoot it.

Any part you need can be had, including the complete lock and trigger group. Most CVA and Traditions parts will interchange if you know what your doing. Deercreek products and ebay are two sources. The Log Cabin shop has a lot of new stock Traditions parts that should work .

Sounds like , without having it my hands, all you need is the sear and maybe a sear spring. If you post some pictures or a short video you can get a better diagnosis. Good luck.

OOPs! I just took another look at the parts shown in the RMC-Ox Yoke catalog. The online catalog is listing parts for the single trigger lock (no bridle and no fly). These parts are not for the CVA Hawken.

@Don Wilson, sorry about sending some misinformation.

Note that the lock may have the sear adjustment screw that is common on these locks. It may just need an adjustment of the screw. You need to look down behind the bridle from the top of the lock to see the screw.

Thanks again, at least another resource I didn't know about.
I messed with the sear adjustment screw and retightened the remainder of the screws that hold it to the plate, tweaked the sear a little more. So far it seems to have fixed it. I will know for sure next trip to the range.
Kind of feel like a numbskull if it was that simple. I really appreciate every ones suggestions and willingness to help.

Update: Still not 100% successful. Unable to locate the correct sear, (but still looking) I took it out and dressed up the contact area lightly with a file. Then readjusted the sear. Shimmed the trigger assembly between the recess in the stock with some sheet copper. Thinking maybe there could be some deterioration in the wood. I had tried this before with a cereal box but didn't work so my thinking is some thing more substantial. It worked fine until I put the barrel on and then it would not catch. I loosened the plate screws and it worked as it should. It seems my interpretation of snug is a little to tight still. I plan on going to the range tomorrow and will update again.

I have a set of T\C Hawken DST's that you can have if you send me the $10 to cover the shipping. My factory T\C DST's are from my Hawken that I acquired in 1979. They are in great shape. (If you want, I'll take and post a pic). I replaced them with a replica "real" Hawken DST and trigger guard. That's why they are available.

I'm not putting them on the for sale page, but if you want them lemme know.

When a CVA set trigger was giving me fits I finally threw in the towel and converted it to a single trigger per the instructions from another member. I wish I could remember who!

It's pretty simple. Strip the trigger down completely. Drill a new pin hole for the front trigger as in the pic. About 1/4" from the original. File the opening for the front trigger toward the back until it is functional.

This will give you a nice clean crisp trigger.

20240825_101639_copy_257x342.jpg
20240825_101646_copy_344x258.jpg
20240825_101659_copy_341x256.jpg

Latest posts

Back