• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Woodsman?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerdhed

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My brother bought a modern shotgun yesterday, and the Fella at the pawn shop threw in a CVA Woodsman to sweeten the deal. Anybody out there ever owned or used on of these?
I've not seen it yet but I'm anxious to get my hands on it.
With it being a CVA I can't see it being anything but great.
And with it being a freebie it just keeps getting better.
Is there anything I should know about these rigs before I get started.

Are you sure it is a CVA Woodsman and not a Traditions? Basically the same thing as far as quality. If it is a Traditions it is a T/C Hawken clone more or less.

Well I've not seen it yet, but on the phone my Brother (who knows nothing about B.P. rigs) read Connecticut Valley Arms....Woodsman .50 cal. use black powder only.
I'd never heard of one that's why I posted the question here.

Well, i've never heard of one either. Traditions makes a Hawken style called a Woodsman. CVA makes a Plainsman. Guess you will see when it gets there.

I have a Tradition Woodsman Hawkins .50 caliber. Mine is a beautiful rifle to look at. Mine has excellent wood. The lock and furniture fit is really nice.

The older models had a 1-66 twist which is what I have. Load it with 90 grains of 2f and a patched roundball and look out you got a serious shooting rifle there. Roundball accuracy is outstanding.

The new models have a 1:48 twist and will shoot roundball and conical bullets as well. They are not the bottom of the line in the Tradtions family but are a mid level rifle.

As far as I can remember, CVA never made a Woodsman Rifle...

Well maybe He told me wrong. But I'm lookin forward to seeing it this weekend.
I've not been lead astray yet from the folks on this forum. So I'm inclined to think he might be tellin me wrong. I guess we'll see.

CVA did make a Woodsman.......I did a search and some of the sight makers list them.....that's about it!

Well, i been know to be wrong before, but i have never heard of it before. It ain't one of their new inl***s i hope. ::

Well, i been know to be wrong before, but i have never heard of it before. It ain't one of their new inl***s i hope. ::

I'd be willing to join that club myself Rebel. Just look at my past track record and you would know that for a fact.. :crackup:

It will be interesting to see what the rifle really is after the poster gets a chance to examine the rifle.

Hey Cayugad, your track record can't be no worse than mine. :: I just hope when he gets it that it has a hammer on the side, :: and not a Bolt. ::

Kwik-Site Muzzleloader See-thru rings, CVA Timberwolf, Lynx, Woodsman, Bobcat Hunter, Frontier Hunter, Grey Wolf, Plainsman

These are for a scope mount, any idea of what they are, never followed CVA much.

bs

Well I got my hands on it. It's a sidelock rig. Not a heck of a lot differant than a hawken-type. It's got a single trigger and a shorter dollop of wood under the barrel but other than that it's not too much differant.
Shoots fine and only looks a little rough. Not too bad for a freebie.

Back