• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

D.R. Hopkins Mountain Rifle - Seeking opinions and information.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertIN

West Harrison, Indiana
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy y'all, there's a mountain rifle nearby that I'm considering picking up. It was built in 1984 by the late D.R. Hopkins for the father of the seller, possibly one of the last ones built down in Tennessee. Feels really good, but it could definitely use a wipe and oiling. I wanted to get you opinions on it before I move forward with purchasing.

The inletting is excellent around the lock and it wouldn't pop off easily otherwise I'd have gotten photos of the internals, didn't feel right tapping it out without proper tools to be safe. The seller said it has possibly never been taken apart and has probably 50> balls down the pipe. Bore looked kinda yucky (brown dried oil and dust) from the outside but it's been sitting in a safe a while and has some surface rust on the iron parts. I'll run some cleaning patches down it and borescope it before buying of course. But if it was put away dirty a decade ago it would probably be obvious if the barrel was wrecked right?

Anywho, what sort of value would one put on this? Does anyone recognize the lock? How annoying would a flint conversion be? Happy to soak up any and all information I can on this before I make a decision, I found two or three old threads but not much else.

1000010669.jpg
1000010666.jpg
1000010668.jpg
1000010640.jpg
1000010660.jpg
1000010647.jpg
1000010658.jpg
1000010652.jpg
1000010657.jpg
1000010664.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts