• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dan & Mike's 2017 Winter Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year Dan 22Fowl and I started what will hopefully be an annual small game hunt at "The Land" which is our hunting lease.

We knew this year's hunt was going to be tough because there was a near total mast failure and during deer season we were seeing very few squirrels, though rabbits were more abundant. Also, Dan and his nephew had already done a multi-day hunt in late December and had seen little small game.

I arrived Friday late in the morning, and after pulling my gear the mile back to the old farm house on snowshoes and sled, got it stashed and decided to load up and hit the woods. Not five minutes into my hunt I spied a big fox squirrel feeding in a tree. He seemed unfraid as I approached to within range of my .62 cal Virginia smooth rifle loaded with 50 grs of 2F KiK, two lubed felt wads, 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot and two overshot cards, and gave me the perfect opportunity. Moments later I was collecting my prize.

32220870990_8c66fc385e_c.jpg

Dan arrived a few hours later and we decided to try for some late afternoon rabbits. Here's Dan with his half-stock 10 GA Fowling piece stomping the rabbit brush.

32477206311_95b1197cb4_c.jpg

Even though there was a quite a bit of fresh rabbit sign in the form of tracks and droppings in certain brushy areas, they were really holed up and holding tight. We only got one to kick out when Dan was working some brush and all but stepped on one before it darted out. Neither Dan or I could get a shot at that one.

On Saturday, the weather wasn't really that good for squirrels with cloudy skies and a brisk north wind, but we headed out in high hopes anyway.

32559533546_2443f00f8d_b.jpg

32559533446_254d36d43e_b.jpg

As it turned out, we were right about the conditions not being conducive to squirrels being active. The squirrel sign was pretty scant with only infrequent sightings of tracks in the snow. But we had a great time anyway seeing several deer and having a great snowshoe hike in the beautiful hills of SE Minnesota.

The view from Preacher's Point is breathtaking:

32559534456_28faa1a059_c.jpg

A beautiful trout stream winds through one of the valleys on the property:

32559528376_ab3c977d01_b.jpg

32559526926_30aa7b94a5_b.jpg

32446999782_a5869d1fe7_b.jpg

Neither Dan or I had ever tried starting a fire with Flint and Steel before. I had assembled a small fire kit a while ago, but hadn't really taken the time to try it. While I had the flint, steel, and some char cloth, I did not have any tinder. Suitably dry material was not abundant and while I got the char cloth started right away my bundle of tinder (I called it a "nest") smoked, but just didn't ignite. Dan also made a tinder nest and he got his going on the first try. It took some lung power, but we did get a small fire going.

32477194431_7d2fb36ea5_c.jpg

32477191501_683236cf2b_c.jpg

We ate a little lunch and when our small fire burned out, we moved on. The day ended with no squirrels seen. It was a great day anyway! :thumbsup:

Today was our last day and the weather was a bit worse with higher winds and a bit of snow spitting from the sky from time to time. Dan spent some time tuning the load on a new .58 flinter he recently built.

32600171075_1b95f89665_c.jpg

While there is no picture, Dan was also finally successful at dispatching an annoying pine squirrel he'd been after all summer.

As always seems to be the case, soon it was time to pack out.

32446999582_a1288b2e66_b.jpg

32477188481_83def9dddc_c.jpg

Turkey season is just a few months away and soon we'll be back to the peace and serenity of our lease. Thanks for joining us on this hunt!

Good friends good times!
Mike makes a mean 3 meat wild rice dish..Awesome..
The devil created pine squirrels...

Good story,narrated the way outdoor
stories used to be :grin:Looks from the photos like a great time was had :thumbsup:

That was a great read and thanks for sharing your pictures as well. I have to admit to being a little envious. Having a great friend to share a traditional hunt with is something special. My friends have either hung up their BP guns or went the new fangled route. Thanks again. Greg. :)

Critter ....Time to mentor a youth or two and start a tradition...Nephews would be my first choice...
Its even fun when you go with old guys too..they do the snowshoe stumble with style.

Use to run a trapline on snowshoes in my youth...was pretty good running in them....but every once in a while I would hook a toe under the snow......Wish I had that on film.... :haha:

Thanks for sharing, looks like some cold fun.

Where'd the name "Preacher's point" come from?

Silky921 said:
Where'd the name "Preacher's point" come from?

I don't know where it originated, but it's a large rock outcropping on a point that sticks out into the valley where one can see way up and down the valley. From the valley floor it is easily seen. I'd imagine that anyone wanting to address a very large audience in the bottoms could use that point to deliver it. :grin:

Sounds plausible, I'll buy that. Always fun to learn the stories behind names like that.

Its very scenic and peaceful..
Enough to make a guy wanna brush his tooth!
Thanks for sharing our Short,really short story... :wink:

The game bag might have been skimpy but you had a good time and in good company. How's the fishing in your trout stream? Looks like a fine place to cast a dry fly or two. Dan.

Fishing was good last summer till all the gully washer down pours came..washed all the overhanging growth and cover out...where Mike and I stood was probably under 6 in of cascading water.... catch and release spring-catch midsummer-catch and release fall.
There are a couple of deeper holes in the shade..
Smart little devils...lots of sneaking into the shadows for them.
Just fun to watch them be trout.
I'm a worm dunker not a fly guy yet. will be soon.... :wink:

wvbuckbuster said:
How's the fishing in your trout stream? Looks like a fine place to cast a dry fly or two. Dan.

Over the 5 years I've been there, one can always find trout in the deeper pools right downstream of little cascades. I'm not much of a fisherman myself and have never cast a line there. Haven't bought a fishing license, must less the trout stamp to go with it, for many years. Got sick of 300 HP Bass boats almost running me down in my "Grumpy Ol' Man" boat on the Mississippi.

However, fly fishing has always been in the back of my mind and when I retire, it's something I'm going to try. SE Minnesota is full of trout streams, so I would have plenty of places to go.

Give fly fishing a try. On a small stream like yours it can be real peaceful. Here in WV my son and I like going after the wild brook trout and there is no crowds to deal with. Dan.

:thumbsup: +1 on the fly fishing :grin: Lots of
fun fishing the little creeks, and secluded ponds for
wild brookies !Not to mention, the warmwater creek
fishing.

Back