• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Darn Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Last week I was out and had a really large, heavy antlered buck stop broadside in front of me at about 25 yards. I brought my rifle up and pulled the trigger. Nothing. I was about to cock it and try again when I realized there was no prime in the pan. I had primed it about an hour before but it somehow dumped out while walking to my stand (ground). He watched me struggle to re-prime and only ran when I closed the frizzen. Aaargh!

Today I was out, same stand, same rifle, same everything. Hadn't seen anything by mid morning so I got out my "bleat" call and started up. Sho-nuff, after a few minutes here came a big bruiser straight at me. He stopped about 15 yards away and stared. Though I couldn't get a good look at his rack (twigs & stuff) I could see it was tall, long, wide and heavy. Something about it looked different from the previous deer but I still can't swear it wasn't the same one. So, there could be two big guys in the area. This second one made me and ran when I tried to raise my rifle. He turned his head, see; but it was only to fake me out and not because he was reassured.

Could there be two bucks roughly the same size in close proximity? There's plenty of food and cover there. If it indeed is a different buck, I swear I'll get one or the other. What a season so far; still no deer kill.

There can absolutely be two (or more) big bucks of near same size in the same area. During rut bucks can travel far and wide in search of hot does. Hunting shows and videos show bucks of the same size in fights...so they're in the same area to be able to do that. When I shot my buck this year he was the 4th large buck I saw in less than 2 hours.

Good luck!

Sure there can, we see bachelor groups with 4-5 nice bucks in them during the summer months...

Make sure that prime isn't leaking down behind the lock plate, that could be a dangerous situation...

Not sure your Doe situation but In areas with a lot of Does, Alpha and Beta bucks will often pair up to help fight off other bucks and the Beta buck is allowed to breed a few.

They can also be in the same area searching for Does but most of the time try to stay out of each others way. Especially if one has had his ares kicked already.

And sometimes theres some knock down drag out fights make MMA look tame...seen some so close I could feel them going at it from where I was sitting in a chair on the ground but those were beta or younger bucks...they generally all know who is boss rather quickly and he doesn't need to exert to much energy showing it unless theres one of equal size and feeling his oats.

Really tough situation to be in. Two big bucks and you are hunting in Va., which allows three bucks a season. Good luck to you. I couldnt make it to Va. this year due to operation. Son lives there and only seen small ones so far. Cant wait to hear a report from you.

Back