• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

db shotgun deer kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
this story is from a couple years ago, but I just found the pic so I will post it. I had been hunting for a 6 years trying to get a deer but I had been unsuccessful every year. It was the the evening of the 1st day of ohio deer season and I had tole my dad that it will be another year that I wont get a deer (it is hard where I live to even see deer after the 1st day of gun season.) well we got in the stand and sat there for a little while. our neighbor came over to the stand and asked us if we wanted him to walk thru the swamp infront of the stand to try to spook up a deer or 2. as he turned came back around from walking thru the swamp my spirts dropped even lower. then all of a sudden a deer junped up. It stood there 50 yards infront of my nieghbor but the weeds were to high so he couldnt see it. I was getting ready to shoot when my dad said" thats to far you will never hit it" and I said o well I will try to scare it back to john(the neighbor). well there was a pretty big limb in between the deer and me. so I ignored the branch and shot anyway. When the smoke cleared I saw the fist thick branch splinter and fall from the bullet hole in it LOL LOL. well the deer was still standing there. john shot at it with his pump gun but yet it still stood there. So I cocked the right hammer,aimed the bead behind the doe's shoulder and pulled the trigger.BOOM as the smoke cleared I saw the deer stifly trotting/walking towards the center of the swamp. john shot again as it disappered into the brush. I heard a crash but just figured it was the doe going thru the swamp. john walked over to where the doe was standing and then he yelled up to us that someone had hit it. I ran over expecting to see a drop or 2 of blood. luckly I was wrong!! there was blood everywhere. the blood trail only went 10 yards before it came to a stop with a big hump of fur ! lol. I was 11 years old. the doe was 70 yards away and i got her in the heart I would like to thank my dad and espeshly to my boardilly(my grandpa)for getting me into muzzleloading. thanks again papaw.
DSCF1673.jpg

DSCF1676.jpg

me and papaw
DSCF1677.jpg

Nice job I am almost 40 years old and I have never got to skin a deer. I never had anyone show me the way I have just gotten in to it the last couple years. You should be proud of yourself. What did you do with the skin can you make something out of it. I have only got one deer so far 2 years ago no luck this year. I have a good storie and a picture to go with mine I will post it latter.Thanks for the pics and good luck and good job to papaw for getting you into it.

Great job there SS :hatsoff: I hope I get to share my grandchildrens first harvest. My 2 daughters shoot but do not hunt. Son inlaw hunt and I hope my 3 grandkids will. Our 5 yr old helps process. :thumbsup: I am going to show him this post and he will love it. Boon

That's one you'll remember the rest of your life. :thumbsup: Good story.

You've been hunting deer since you were 5 years old? That's awesome.

GREAT JOB! :thumbsup: You're a lucky boy to have a grandpa to pass on the hunting heritage to you.

I was sitting beside my grandson when he shot his first deer. It's a memory you'll never forget.

Thank you everyone it was certinaly something I will never forget. yes I started deer hunting when i was 5 with a stevens single shot 410. then I moved up to my 50 cal CVA bobcat when i was 8 and I missed a few deer with that. then I started using the double. As for the skin my dad bought me a liqua tan tanning kit. after i skinned the deer I fleshed the skin on a trash can with a kitchen knife lol. then I tanned the cape and the back skin. I still havent mounted the cape yet but I might one of these days. So ya I got stated trapping and hunting and tanning at a pretty young age.Ive also been doing taxidermy for the last couple years. I havent tried anything big yet,just birds.

Hello from Germany!

A great and interesting story. Waidmanns Heil! :thumbsup:

Tell us something about the double barrel gun!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Great story SS, I want to wish you all the luck with your other adventures as well.It sounds like you are a busy young man,so keep up the good work. I wish i could have had someone show me some of the things you are being shown as a young man. So best wishes to you and remember it's not always about the harvest, but the adventure that takes you there as well. :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister HI He got it at Log Cabin. They thought it was English. I think it is a .11 ga. Shoots a ounce and eight ball if I remember right. This boy has some German blood in him. My wife his grandma, her moms mother came from German when she was 15yrs old. Magdalene Koppoll(sp) I was under the tree stand when he shot it, dad was up there too. I think the gun is like 150yrs old. Dilly

Super job my friend you are a very fortunate young man having a wonderful Papaw like you do. Where in Ohio?
Dusty :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :wink:

Back