• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Decked a big boar yesterday with GPH .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been having a issue with a big boar jumping in the feeder pens set up for deer he tore 2 pens up trying to get in. I recently sighted in my Lyman great plains hunter .54 with some 535 gr No excuse bullets. I was in my climbing about 60 yards away the wind was blowing pretty good i spotted him at 65 yards coming towards the pen he stopped for a split second i squeezed the trigger the no excuse propeeled by 90 grains of pyrodex p dropped him in his tracks. This is the longest muzzleloading shot ive made to date
FB_IMG_1609306597607.jpg
FB_IMG_1609306597607.jpg

Mr. Dave yes sir no smell at all. now about the rank smell of a boar. under the pig close and underneath the male anatomy is a gland where the semen and urine is kept. when a boar is excited nervous hurt they release this god awful rank boar smell, i hog sprays like a skink if scared or nervous that gland is called a precruciment gland (spelling) it sole purpose when he sprays is to notify other pigs are in his territory if a hog dies a hard death he will release the scent that is where the stench comes from. any hog that smells rank i leave alone i have ate many boars bigger than this with no smell

Mr. Dave yes sir no smell at all. now about the rank smell of a boar. under the pig close and underneath the male anatomy is a gland where the semen and urine is kept. when a boar is excited nervous hurt they release this god awful rank boar smell, i hog sprays like a skink if scared or nervous that gland is called a precruciment gland (spelling) it sole purpose when he sprays is to notify other pigs are in his territory if a hog dies a hard death he will release the scent that is where the stench comes from. any hog that smells rank i leave alone i have ate many boars bigger than this with no smell

Thanks, explains a lot about the meat we have to buy at the markets also. In the past we have purchased hams that was so rank we didn't even want to stay in the house. By this kill being instant was the boar stink avoided?

Back