• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dedicated shooting bag/box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Wyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a flintlock and a caplock. One rather large shooting box has everything for both. Does anyone have a seperate bag/box for each of their guns? Just grab a rifle and the appropriate bag and off ya go. I would just have to buy another powder horn, measure and short starter for the new bag. Thinkng about it.
George :hmm:

My shooting box can handle every Ml'er I have. I have a shooting bag though for every gun. Grab the gun and grab the right bag and out the door you go!

I have a "range box" thet has everything I would need for both flint and perc. Great for going to the range, and great for keeping all my junk in one place.
When I go hunting, I just fill my possibles bag with what I need from the box, and return the items back to the box when done.
I will say the box is large and cumbersom to haul around, but it is also very convienent because it has everything.

I have a percussion bag, and a flint bag...have one range box for rifles, one for shotgun, and one for pistols...saves finding out that the stapler is "in the other box" as I equip each, fully...when I didn't have a lot of time on my hands, and was broke, one bag, one box worked just fine...Hank

One soft-side tool bag as a generic range bag- holds eye & ear protection, multi-tool, cartridge ammo, bore snakes, screwdrivers... stuffed for a quick "grab & go" to spend a day making holes in paper. I also have a tackle box with just the blackpowder gear in it- balls, patches, jags, range rods, cleaning solvents, starters, powder flask, measure, and a place for caps. A possibles box as it were.

I'm still making a leather bag for myself, haven't found a design I like enough to actually start cutting the skins yet, but in the meanwhile I've made 3 or 4 bags that my staff at camp will be getting :)

vic

For the range, I have a large tool box for general tools, collapsing range rods, powders, caps/primers, solvents, loading and cleaning patches and such. Also have loading blocks along with a mobile supply of roundballs, conicals and sabot's.

Also in there I keep small plastic fishing lure boxes for each caliber (45/50/54/58). In there are specific jags, rod tools, wrenches, nipples and other nit noids for each caliber.

For the field, I've got a couple of different bags that I "tailer" stock for whatever ML I'm going to be carrying or whichever projectiles and powder I'm going to be using (speed loaders, loading blocks, loading and cleaning implements, etc).

:m2c:

I have a couple of tackle boxes converted to range box. One has all the cleaning supplies and patch lube in it and the other has caps, round balls and conicals. I have two possibles bags or hunting pouches, one for the .45 and the other for the 50s. Two powder horns one with 3F and one for 2 F for the 12 ga. Have a shot snake for the shot for the 12 ga. Plus two ball bags, one for 50 and one for 45.

Waya

I have a large flap front box that I used to carry, but it was too heavy. It is now my main supply box in the shop.

I replaced it with a range box that has a cut out to rest my gun against when loading and a notch for the rod, balls and other items. Works well off a bench or tailgate.

I also have hunting bags for every gun so I can grab the gun and its bag on the way to the woods. I keep a separate bag in the truck with the basics common to all guns.

CS

I have a bag and horn for each gun and a big wooden box of extra stuff that I only take to rondevouxs.

The first bag is my smoothbore bag & horn. The second one is my flintlock rifle bag.
Shotpouch.jpg

PouchandHorn2.jpg

I have a large tackle box with with all the goodies I need for the range & all calibers. If I need more than is in that box at the range, I need the workshop.

For hunting, I have 1 bag for the 50 cal & larger, 1 bag for the 45 & smaller calibers, 1 bag for the shotguns.

:thumbsup:

I have a shooting bag for my flintlocks and a bag for percussions. My personalized powder horn is good for each by just changing the powder measure attached to it. I used to go to the range with a box full of junk, but I could never find referance to a frontier rifleman doing that, so now I just shoot from the bag and use the ramrod from the rifle. It's amazing how little I can get along with. If I think I'll need more powder and ball, I just carry it in my haversack on the other side. KISS

When I started out 30 years ago I did all my shooting from horn and bag. Even went to several matches and shot from the bag.
Then I started watching the more experienced shooters and I started using a range box.
Then a range rod.
Now I carry two boxes and a range rod and a target frame and targets.
When I hunt I carry a medium October Country bag.
I could probably dissasemble an entire flintlock in the field.

And I never use hardly any of that stuff. Especially when I'm hunting.
I would probably go out shooting more if I did KISS.

I've got one large wooden range box that's about the size of a foot locker. In it I have multiple cans of black powder; a pistol loading stand; a spotter scope and pair of binoculars; several pounds of case bullets; and a medium sized tackle box with all of the small parts and tools needed at the range.
The range box is large enough to keep most of my black powder "stuff" but small enough to easily throw into the back of my truck when I go shooting. I may be lucky that I can back right up to the covered firing position at the two ranges that I shoot at the most.
I'm working on the design for a new slightly smaller range box but it is more of a woodworking project than a gun project. :m2c:

Well, i've had multiple boxes, bags, containers, etc. Finally decided to try & get organized. Make a "blue Jean leg" bag for each gun/caliber, had someone stitch the info for each gun on each baft, as in "54 cal flint pistol". Now trying to get the boxes organized, reduced to a manageable number. Problem is every box/container is different size, etc so they don't store very well. Maybe i'll get it right some day...

rayb

I know this bridges the gap between shooting and other skillsets but it's how I finally ended up doing things...I did it like this because of the time I spent looking and the money I spent because I couldn't find was killing me

About once every two weeks I buy one or two of those plastic tool boxes from wally world. The ones I used are labeled "keeter" and cost 5 bucks each. The come in green red, yellow, blue, and a couple others I think.

What I've been doing is labeling as I go along. I have one for my inline and all my centerfires. Other boxes are marked, plumbing, tape, wiring, glue, cutting, etc. Whatever Category they fit in is the box they go in. THe list is growing. I think I'm up to about 20 boxes now. 90% are the same. Larger items like sand paper and assorted abrasives like steel wool went in a larger plastic box.

It has saved me SOFA KING much time and money because I can find stuff I've run out of excuses not to finish my honey-do list.

Hope it helps...

EP

I know this bridges the gap between shooting and other skillsets but it's how I finally ended up doing things...I did it like this because of the time I spent looking and the money I spent because I couldn't find was killing me

About once every two weeks I buy one or two of those plastic tool boxes from wally world. The ones I used are labeled "keeter" and cost 5 bucks each. The come in green red, yellow, blue, and a couple others I think.

What I've been doing is labeling as I go along. I have one for my inline and all my centerfires. Other boxes are marked, plumbing, tape, wiring, glue, cutting, etc. Whatever Category they fit in is the box they go in. THe list is growing. I think I'm up to about 20 boxes now. 90% are the same. Larger items like sand paper and assorted abrasives like steel wool went in a larger plastic box.

It has saved me SOFA KING much time and money because I can find stuff I've run out of excuses not to finish my honey-do list.

Hope it helps...

Im still looking for a possibles bag however...

EP

Back