• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deep in the woods of England.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my first rooster of the season :grin:

Someone asked me to get them a squirrel to cook so I did, the correct way, with smoke :thumbsup:

The gun has not been cleaned since last used last Saturday! Not even the pan and lock. Just kept by the chimney in the house.

B.

That's a beautiful, large cock pheasant...was it shot over the dog? How common are they?

Had an English Setter that was a top notch dog on ruffed grouse, quail and woodcock, but wasn't bold enough on pheasants....they'd run and he'd point and this would go on forever it seemed.

Bought an English Pointer that would go on point and as soon as the pheasant ran, she'd quickly make a circle and come in from the opposite direction, totally befuddling the pheasant. Most of her points were w/in 5 feet of the birds. She wasn't as good on the other birds mentioned because she ranged out too far and was too fast.

Always enjoy your pics....Fred

Some years I get loads of pheasants about.
The area is awash with pheasant shoots that release thousands.
My patch is in the middle and generally quiet so some birds come for some peace.

wish we had bigger birds like that around here!
Best I have is these really dumb grouse that make you feel mean for shooting them. They just kinda hang out and don't really afford much a chance at hunting.
Then our squirrels are so small I think the chipmunks levy extortion on them to live in the area.

Nice hunt.

Britsmoothy said:
The gun has not been cleaned since last used last Saturday! Not even the pan and lock. Just kept by the chimney in the house.

Congrats on your hunt! Great pics too! I'm too paranoid to not clean my gun the same day I used it.

marmotslayer said:
Dang, that's a big bag! :shocked2:

Do you deliver newspapers or mail while you hunt? :haha:

That cracked me up! :rotf:

Britsmoothy said:
Good hunt, Brits.

Your comment about pheasant shoots made me wonder if they are anything like the traditional shoots on the big estates from years gone by, the "shooting parties" we read so much about. I was reading about Frederick Oliver Robinson, 4th Earl de Grey and his fantastic record of game taking, something like a half-million, and I assumed a lot of that was at the shooting parties. Do those still take place, or are the pheasant shoots with thousands released which you mention more like the commercial shooting farms we have over here.

Spence

George said:
Britsmoothy said:
Good hunt, Brits.

Your comment about pheasant shoots made me wonder if they are anything like the traditional shoots on the big estates from years gone by, the "shooting parties" we read so much about. I was reading about Frederick Oliver Robinson, 4th Earl de Grey and his fantastic record of game taking, something like a half-million, and I assumed a lot of that was at the shooting parties. Do those still take place, or are the pheasant shoots with thousands released which you mention more like the commercial shooting farms we have over here.

Spence
Spence, yes there are many private shoots of the wealthy who have their private shooting parties. Others rent land and form syndicate's to generate funds.
It is the job of the gamekeeper to keep the birds where he needs them but some slip away :wink:

If you did a search you would find loads of available days shooting as a party available here.

B :hatsoff:

While I was stationed in Salzburg, Austria, purchased 13 guns from a dealer of Ferlach arms.
He owned an estate and he related how pheasants are harvested for the market.

The shooters line up behind the close ranging pointing dogs and the human retrievers along w/ large carts to the rear of the shooters all proceed. Dschulnigg the dealer and owner of the estate said that in two weekends, 1500 pheasant were harvested.

Most of the shooters pay for the privlege of shooting thereby helping defray the cost of raising the pheasants.

In Austria, a hunting license only entitles the hunter to shoot the game but if the hunter chooses to keep what he shot, he must pay the market price to the estate owner. There is no public hunting land.

How is the hunting land situation in England?.....Fred

flehto said:
While I was stationed in Salzburg, Austria, purchased 13 guns from a dealer of Ferlach arms.
He owned an estate and he related how pheasants are harvested for the market.

The shooters line up behind the close ranging pointing dogs and the human retrievers along w/ large carts to the rear of the shooters all proceed. Dschulnigg the dealer and owner of the estate said that in two weekends, 1500 pheasant were harvested.

Most of the shooters pay for the privlege of shooting thereby helping defray the cost of raising the pheasants.

In Austria, a hunting license only entitles the hunter to shoot the game but if the hunter chooses to keep what he shot, he must pay the market price to the estate owner. There is no public hunting land.

How is the hunting land situation in England?.....Fred
All I need in England is a gun licence and the permission or bought rights to shoot on land. I usually shoot vermin for farmers and are given the gift of a pheasant by way of thanks.
On shooting estates I patrol for fox obviously I don't shoot their pheasants but are given the rabbit to take.
A lot of farmers like an extra pair of eyes about too.
I don't join shooting parties any more. Prefer to work alone now

Congratulations Nate, nicely done. That is a nice fat pheasant and will make a wonderful dinner. I used to shoot them pretty regularly when I lived in Northern Indiana, but I have not seen any here in Tennessee. The last pheasants I shot were in South Dakota, subsequent to a two deer white tail tag I filled in three days.......robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back