• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Antlers-Original Color

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I find a lot of shed deer antlers. They end up stuck in my tractor tires and go wackity wack as they go around when stuck in the tires and hit the fenders or in my truck tires making a similiar sound which I do not hear until my other half says stop the truck, are you deaf, yep????

Most of the horns that I find or that find me, are in the bleached condition.

Any one have a way to put the orginal color back in the horns so they can be used for stuff?

I have a bunch and hate to part with them.

RDE

I'm willing to bet someone knows a dye/stain that just might work. There is something sold for taxidermy for rubbing onto bleached antlers that brings back the brownish color. So if you get stuck a taxidermy place would have something.

Thank you.

I am hoping someone here has the answer, if not I will do as advised.

There is a lot of knowledge here and I hoping for some good insider advice.

Deer antlers in a tractor tire sure are expensive, but then again, you do not have to bend over to pick them up, you just listen for the noise.

RDE

I do a lot of total restorations of shed antlers for people
across the country.
Recoloring a bleached out shed antler is not just a simple matter of slapping on some stain.
If the antlers have any cracks what so ever in them you need to repair them first or the stain will get into the cracks and make a real mess of things.
If they are a "hard white" without cracks or checking, stain can be applied for recoloring.
I put a base coat of paint first, a flat ivory color is best, then I use water based MinWax Walnut stain. One light coat on the entire antler, quickly wiping off most of it on the outer 2/3 of the antler. Then keep applying stain to the base until it's the darkness you want.
Here's a before and after of a world class shed rebuilt for a friend.

LittleEddiebefore.jpg

LittleEddieDONE.jpg

There's a lot of other little tricks of the trade that would need an entire thread devoted to it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Yep, I hunted a farm in Conn in the late 80's and the farmer actually learned to stop and walk a certain area near the edge of the woods because he lost so many tires to sheds in the same area. For some reason one or two bucks found this area the best place to drop em. :haha:

Fossil Hunter,

Please share your knowledge, it would be appreciated. I have a rack from my barn that the mice decided needed some modification, similar to your pictured shed.

I have a feeling you have knowledge that has not been discussed before and your experience would be appreciated, I know I would like some help and guidance.

Thank you.

RDE

There is a Whitetail forum that I'm a moderator of the shed antler section. I have a tutorial there of rebuilding a shed from start to finish.
I don't think I can post a link to it though as there's a muzzleloading and traditional archery sub forum there.
Can we have a ruling on this?
If a link can't be done and there's enough interest, I'll rewrite it and post here.

Fossil Hunter said:
If a link can't be done and there's enough interest, I'll rewrite it and post here.

Copy and paste??

I'd like to see some of your knowledge and skill shared

Fossil Hunter said:
There is a Whitetail forum that I'm a moderator of the shed antler section. I have a tutorial there of rebuilding a shed from start to finish.
I don't think I can post a link to it though as there's a muzzleloading and traditional archery sub forum there.

Thats what PT's are for. Anyone contacts you via PT, give them the link.

Try soaking the antlers in Tea and water for a couple of days. Check them daily until they have reached the color you prefer.

Good answers so far. I made a rifleman's knife not long back with a large chalky white mule deer base. The guys here said it needed some color. I took my Dremel with the flap wheel sander and took the chalky material off to hard white. Then used Olde English walnut stain in repeated applications until the desired level or color was reached. Now this was a quickie fix not a pro restoration or shed rebuild. It did the trick and achieved good antique looking color for a knife handle project. I use the same stain/scratch cover on all my stuff. It works for me.

Steve

PS-here in Utah you need a permit to collect sheds. I 'found' mine at an antiques emporium at a bargain price because they WERE old and chalky.

OK, I should have clarified that remark. In Utah collecting sheds is regulated by season, and what qualifies as a shed. here's the link if you are really bored and want to know.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/07-03/sheds.php

Steve

Thanks for the Pt's and comments folks.
Personally, I don't feel coloring antlers really falls into what this forum is about.
I'm more than happy to answer all questions but let's do it through email or PT's.
Thanks.

Field and Stream suggested using Tru-oil to restore dried out/faded antlers. What do you guys think?

That's a might nice-looking repair job. If you care to share, I'd appreciate any information about repairing broken points. An ex-girlfriend was moving a ten-point whitetail mount of mine and dropped it,breaking one tine into six shards, which were impossible to epoxy back together. I'd like to fix it with a piece of real antler.

Back