• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer creek poor service

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodshunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
called deer creek last thursday, orderd a 54 cal barrel for my cva hawkins. asked them if they had one with a button breech, an if it was in stock, they said "yes sir we have it instock". also asked if it came with the breech installed, an if it hcame with sights or anything else installed. the guy said, " yes it does, comes with the drum, new nipple, front and rear sight, and the botten peice that holds the barrel down( i cant recall the name lol) comes ready to be put in the gun! ". so i bought it. came in lastnight. opened the pkg, it had the breech, drum an nipple installed. ok i can live with that, ill just take that off the old barrel. turned it over an looked at the breech... hook style breech. and inoreder to make it fit id have to cut awway some of the wood in the stock. but im not doing that cuz i just refinished the stock. im not taking a chance of messing it up, it looks prefect right now. so not taking the chance.

but anyway, thats not what i orderd so i called up deer creek, an told them the problem. guy on the phone say, "well we knew it was wrong barrel but we sent that anyway so you could make it work. because we didnt have the right barrel instock" then they said,"well just send the barrel back an we will refund ur $". you mean ur not even gonna offer to send me the right barrel?
deercreek says,"no sir"

them knoing that it was the wrong barrel, an sending it to me anywway, an not wanting to send me another barrel to replace it an make things right, thats is just beyond poor sevice.

Sorry you've had trouble. Sounds like a mess up with the terminology/description of what you wanted.
Cause I don't know what a button breech is myself.

The breech with a drum isn't replaceable with another kind because of the way that type of breech is installed in the gun.

CVA has two kinds, the Hooked breech and a Tang breech.

Can you post a photo of your rifle and breech area?

button breech?

You can't just pull a CVA drum and nipple breech. They are all inter-drilled and tapped. The threads and pieces just won't go back together the same. Pictures of cut-aways have been posted here two or three times.

I must say this is the first I ever heard any unkind word about Deer Creek.

The button breaches became more universal on their later rifles. Instead of the hook there is a round, flattened knob "button". You can actually get the hooked breach to fit the button tang by a little filing on both parts. I bought a Frontier and had that issue. About 30 minutes of filing and fitting and it went right in. Did not have to make any adjustments to the barrel inlet.

I guess I have a question for the original poster. Were you replacing the original 54 cal barrel on the Hawkin or were you "upgrading" from another caliber to the .54?

You can get a hooked tang and replace the button tang and you would be good to go! You don't have to alter the stock in any way, both tangs are the same size! A hooked tang would cost under $20.00 off of one of the auction sites. If you can't find one PM me! :grin:

Ghettogun said:
The button breaches became more universal on their later rifles. Instead of the hook there is a round, flattened knob "button". You can actually get the hooked breach to fit the button tang by a little filing on both parts. I bought a Frontier and had that issue. About 30 minutes of filing and fitting and it went right in. Did not have to make any adjustments to the barrel inlet.
they sent a tang with the new barrel. but it wont fit into the stock so either way id have to modify the stock.

Ghettogun said:
I guess I have a question for the original poster. Were you replacing the original 54 cal barrel on the Hawkin or were you "upgrading" from another caliber to the .54?
replaceing the original barrel.

Rogue River said:
You can get a hooked tang and replace the button tang and you would be good to go! You don't have to alter the stock in any way, both tangs are the same size! A hooked tang would cost under $20.00 off of one of the auction sites. If you can't find one PM me! :grin:
there was a new tang with the barrel but it wont fit into the stock. it looks the same size but its bigger. so id have to cut at the stock. and i really dont wanna do that because i just refinished the stock. dont wanna take a chanse of messin it up an have to redo it all over again.

It sounds to me like you have the wrong size barrel. If the tang you got is bigger and it fits the barrel OK then the barrel is the wrong width. Your old barrel was most likely 15/16 inch across the flats and the new one is 1 inch?

I'm sitting here with a button breech and a hooked breech and they are the same any which way you look at them (interchangable). CVA made "TWO" different width barrels. Measure the WIDTH of your old and new tang and your old and new barrel and you will see what the problem is! "Barrel" and tang are the wrong width! It wouldn't be worth the effort to fit an oversize barrel into your stock. :hmm: :(

there was a new tang with the barrel but it wont fit into the stock. it looks the same size but its bigger. so id have to cut at the stock.

Inlet the new tang and be done with it. It's really not that tough, just go slow and take a little at a time.

Rogue River said:
It sounds to me like you have the wrong size barrel. If the tang you got is bigger and it fits the barrel OK then the barrel is the wrong width. Your old barrel was most likely 15/16 inch across the flats and the new one is 1 inch?

I'm sitting here with a button breech and a hooked breech and they are the same any which way you look at them (interchangable). CVA made "TWO" different width barrels. Measure the WIDTH of your old and new tang and your old and new barrel and you will see what the problem is! "Barrel" and tang are the wrong width! It wouldn't be worth the effort to fit an oversize barrel into your stock. :hmm: :(
the old barrel is 15/16... the new barrel is 15/16 just took a tape messure to it. the new tang could be off a bigger barrel maybe?? idk on this

Sorry to hear you had problems. My experince with them was positive. I am well aware of the different breach types. Mine was the button type. They definately should have explained that they did not have the barrel that you needed. I would agree that inleting the new tang should not be a probmem but they should have explained things up front. The main thing is to take your time and go slow. It is a lot easier to remove a little more wood than to try to replace it.

15/16. but the part where the screw goes in is where it wont fit at. also cuz its a hook breach, the end of the hook sets past the tang so id have to cut alittle out for that to.

i just dont wanna get to working aroung in there an scratch the finish on the stock up an have to redo it, cuz deer creek knowingly sent me the wrong breech.

some people might read thi an say that im whineing or whatever else, but thats just me

I don't think it's whinning at all, but inletting a tang ain't that tuff.

Go on down to the Gun Builders section and look at the tutorial and read a few threads down there, maybe ask'm for help.

The deal is you have a .54 in your hands, and no option as yet of finding one that'll fit like you want.

You refinished the stock, so you know how it was done,, any re-work you do too it should be easy enough cause you did it..
:idunno:
I'll stop now, Good Luck Friend

You have 2 options as I see it. File the hooked breech to fit your old tang or send what you got back! A picture would help! :idunno:

All my dealings with Deer Creek have been very positive.
Sorry that your's isnt going as well.

CVA parts......
CVA got out of the traditional business some time back.
CVA changed up styles way long back (tangs, ect)
Deer Creek came along and somehow acquired all that unused inventory of parts and what few sources there were for restock.
Bless them for that!
One would have to gander, that over time, some items are just gunna dry up and become unavailable. Its a fact of life.
I currently stuggle daily trying to find some key items for a 1967 GM muscle car. These items only existed ata production run of about 12000.
CVA parts kinda follow thisthought pattern as well!

I have had fairly decent luck on the big online auction site for some old CVA parts for two guns I played with. I found that a lot of folks there like to part out their guns sort of like an auto wrecking yard!

Food for thought!

The neat thing about deer creek... you get to actually talk with them on the phone! old school! gotta love it!

My understanding about DC is it is a small operation possibly family. The dealings I've had involving defective parts was very positive. Sorry to hear your experience was different. :idunno:

Is it possible that you can just drill out the receiving end of the old tang so that it will fit the new barrel? If you can do that there would be no need to inlet anything on your newly refinished stock. I have an old CVA Big Bore Mt Rifle that has a hooked breach. I also have a CVA Bobcat with a button breach. I will see what it will take to make the two connect and get back to you on that.

Back