• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer hide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok my dearest fellow Muzzies

Does anyone know if in Connecticut I can take the hide of the deer I shot? And make like a bag or something out of it? How about antlers? Where can I find laws describing this?
Im assuming it would be state and/or federal law. I know in some states the permit is given only go Native Americans for their needs. Do I need something like that in CT? How about in Your state?

You buy a hunting licence and deer tags and hunt them during the seasons. If you do harvest one, you must go by your states laws and do whats required for checking the animal in with the state, be it designated checking stations or a mail in thing. Once thats done, the animal is yours to do with as you wish. Hopefully your using as much of it as possible. Most people don't want to mess with hides today and many are thrown away or given away. So its good when someone actually wants to do something with one. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming you took a required hunter safety course and can buy a license and tags this year? Once you buy your license you should be handed a copy of your states rules/regs.

There was just some changes here and there that I got mixed up a for moment. And DEP don't know shxt. At least during first 3 times I called. I always leave everything but meat. Never got a buck so no antlers. But I cannot find any info. We shoot it, tag it, if within specific marked time- station, if not- that's it. Nothing else have been mentioned during hunting classes. Thank you Swampy. Maybe someone knows these laws better than we do, lol.

Ok, found it. I just had to use dictionary a little, lol. http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=468022&depNav_GID=1633#LEGALTRAP
Here's the link for CT if anyone is interested.

Stumpkiller said:
http://www.eregulations.com/connecticut/hunting/hunting-laws-regulations/

Whitetail deer or parts are not federally protected or regulated. If harvested legally you can do anything you like with the hide, hair, antlers, whatever.

Well, not quite. At least in NC you can legally take a deer with a depredation permit or in the act of depredation without a permit, but in this case you are allowed to keep the meat but cannot keep or use the hide or antlers. Other states may vary, but I'd check if you took a deer other than during the usual hunting season. This information would not be the hunting regulations, because it isn't a 'hunting' rule, you'd have to call the Department of Wildlife.

Of course if you took the deer in season then you should be able to do whatever you want. :thumbsup:

Typicaly you can do as you wish with legaly taken Deer with the omly restriction generaly on the sale of any parts, check your state laws to be sure, as mentined it is not a federaly controlled issue

Back