• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard J.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was the opener in Pa. Good friend of mine from many years ago finally decided to get the flintlock out instead of centerfire. Well he has been shooting it for a couple of months. ( he does know how to use it. I started him about 30 years ago). Well a big wide 8 point walked up to him and the gun didnt go off. He was pretty disgusted and decided to look for my brother for help. Told him the story and showed him the gun. Brother started laughing and said he knew what was wrong. You have to take the leather off of the frizzen in order for it to fire. Showed him the nice mark on the leather from the flint. He then said dont tell your brother. Promised he wouldnt till he got home. Didnt take me long to burn the phone line to him. Told him to cheer up your retired and have all the time in the world to get him. The fun of hunting. Also if you get him send pics to me.

I would laugh with the guy but I have done dumb stuff myself just never cost me a deer thank god. I was using my trusy 54 flinter "Bacon Maker" and was doing an all-dayer sit on opening day of modern gun. I loaded the gun the night prior when I got everything ready, went to my spot sat down seen a few deer before a nice 9 point came into view about 175 yards out and bedded down in a thicket looking away, I got the bright idea to skirt around the ridge and come up from the creek bed that would offer about a 40-50 yard shot, I decided to reprime the rifle halfway there before I hit the creek bed, I dumped the powder and heard a deer grunt I looked up and a yearling buck is walking into the thicket I cocked the lock and drew on him, but decided to pass, I continued my move and the stalked worked well I peaked up over top of the creek bed there he was still bedded I rested the gun on the top lip of the dirt and grunted he stood up, and I fired or attempted to a big flash of spark and nothing else, recock samething buck decides he is outta there and runs off over the ridge, I realize in all the excitment I forgot to add powder back in the pan, upset I sat there mad at myself, then and a few shots ring out and the same 9 pointer decided he was safer in the thicket but never made it since I killed him. I got lucky I know but I will take it, and learned a valuable lesson that day. So I feel for your buddy, it happens to all of us, I just got away with mine, do to sheer luck, and another guy missing and scaring the buck back.

and you got snow!!!! only deer I'v seen this season has been posted here!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking the GPR out for a Woods Walk this aftrenoon,morning temp was 12 this afternoon is 34 perfect,,for those naps in the woods..Not a cloud in the sky,just a slight breeze,N/NW!!!!

Years back I took him in our flintlock season the day after x-mas. We drove one and one half hours to a spot I hunt. Uncased the weapons and low and behold he brought the centerfire case by mistake. After a lot of ribbing we both used my gun. We each took a deer that day but the best part was seeing his face when he uncased the wrong weapon. He has also been knowing to go fishing with everything but the rods. To say he gets excited is an understatement. And he is fun to be around.

Back