• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer - its what's for dinner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Spent a wonderful morning in the woods with the .45 longrifle. This deer burrowed in as a last attempt to not be found, but backstrap is on the menu for this eve.

a-december2010005.jpg

Good luck if you are after them.
Wess

Grats Wess. :thumbsup: That deer was good at hiding. :shocked2: Woulda been easy to miss.

Swampy said:
Nice pic of your gun! :haha: Grats Wess but next time pull it out so we can see it. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

Swampy: I wanted to put the as-was pic of where I found it, just because I like those kind of shots. I shot a 9pt some 4 years back that had crashed into a bunch of brush in his death-run, it was awesome, too bad I lost the pic.

december2010006.jpg

I was irritated it was a button buck, but I couldn't get a real good look at him due to the cedars and thought it was a doe. The deer-kabobs will be great regardless!

Good luck!!
Wess

Aw man, you guys are getting me so jealous. I have to wait until Illinois' extra season now. Didn't see a dag nab thing except for fresh tracks the first week and nothing the second (which has now come and gone). :shake:

The Doc is antsy and out now. :v

Good Job!... I'm getting hungry with all this talk of back straps. He dug in like a few squirrels I shot in the past”¦.. It is a very good picture showing just how well they can “blend in” and how you could easily walk by one that is down, especially just before dark. Did you have a good blood trail?

I too have to wait for the extra season in Illnois. I'm happy for those that got one this year with a muzzleloader. Saturday I went out with my boys in the morning and watched deer run out of our timber and across the road as we pulled in. When we went back in the afternoon we found deer tracks in our boot tracks (a foot of snow fell earlier this week). In fact, one deer deficated on our boot tracks. When I left to go out this afternoon (Sunday) there were 6 deer in my back yard and as I live in the city limits all I could do was watch the cute things eat on my arbor vitaes. It got me excited to get back on my stand where again all I saw was tracks.

Great (as it was ) picture! Thanks for sharing.

Wow all the detail on your rifle!- Who was the craftsman? Looks lite and lively.

Thanks everyone!!

The blood trail was very light due to shooting him high, with the first drop found about 50 yards from the impact shot - the brush had his lower chest blocked so I popped him through the shoulders, he prob went about 100 yards.

The gunbuilder was a friend of my late father-in-law from Louisville and was built about 30 years ago or so.

Good luck if you are out and about!
:hatsoff:

Back