• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer load for 40 prb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jatuttle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Using my 40 for deer this year. 1:66 twist barrel with .395 prb. Have been sighting in with 50 to 60 gr fffg pyrodex.
Any suggestions or experience with this combo on deer?
Jeff

Thanks, I guess my concern is really that I don't overcharge or exceed the limits of my 40. I've heard not to use more than 1.5 times the caliber as a rule of thumb. shots will all be 70 yards or less, most under 50.

Been hunting my 40 cal for a long time now.

Use 60 grains of FFF under a .395

75 yards is my "max" range but I have never had to shoot past 32 yards (I least can't remember a longer shot on Bambi).

Never lost one with the 40 - you are looking for a double lung or heart shot. Forget about trying to put one in the neck or the shoulder unless your muzzle is "touching fur".

If you shoot a 40 like it's a bow, it's more than an effective weapon for Whitetails.

I think .45 is the minimum in Illinois. I would think the .40 would work if you picked your shots. Moved up from .45 to .50 to .54 now. Looking for a .58 not. Bigger is better but a .22 will kill a deer.

I've never heard that rule-of-thumb. I have heard for Blanks in rifles not to exceed 1.5 the caliber as a rule at some sites or in some organizations. There are fellows who use as much as 110 grains when shooting their .62 rifles, and if the 1.5 rule was for live fire, they should stop at 95 grains eh? :grin:

60 grains would be the minimum load for deer here in Maryland, with about 80 yards as a suggested limit in range for a patched round ball.

LD

The rule of thumb came from an old traditions manual for a ml i used years back. I haven't used real Bp yet but would like to if it performs better.

My own home made maximum load for a thick wall rifle , it's always been 5 calibers long, for example a .50 would be a .5 diameter x 2.5 long.
I have no idea of what that means in grains for any given caliber.
I use that formula since late '70s or early '80s , and my normal loads never approach that amount.

Killed one with my .40 using 55grs of Pyrodex RS .395 ball pillow ticking patch. Shot was about 75 yards passed thru both lungs never hit a rib and ran maybe 100yards but boy did she bleed. Pumped out both sides! Always wondered if I had been closer if it would have made any difference. Had a .50 made than started using a .54 and just never got back to using the .40 to deer hunt with. It wouldn't keep me at home if that was all I had though. Pick your shots and go have a good hunt! Dan.

i dont think closer would have mattered maybe a bigger hole would have made a little difference, that is being able to flow just a little more blood. but closer no. most deer or hogs if they dont get a shot that hits spine they can go fast and far in just seconds. i've seen the same thing, a hit through the lungs in the good spot and when the smoke clears nothing laying on the ground. but when you walk over to the spot theres a blood trail a blind person could follow.

Back