• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer season eve.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! Our season started last Friday. Mid 40s and winds over 45mph. This week we got 24 inches of snow in less than 2 days, and the temperature is dropping below zero at night. Not perfect weather for my first year hunting with a flintlock. Only saw 1 deer last weekend and it was a yearling doe. On the plus side, the turkeys come in morning and evening and I just happen to have a license for them. Down side is so far they have all been hens and I want a n nice long beard. I normally use my Lyman GPR in 54, went the other way this year. TC Hawken flintlock in 45!

Skychife, that sounds like my central Kentucky forecast! I was out this morning with my GPR! Stinking coyotes chased my deer away!

Firearm deer opens here the Monday after Thanksgiving. The Saturday before it opens the local supermarket is crowded with groups of guys with loaded shopping carts. Gotta stock up the deer camp!

Good luck! Our season started last Friday. Mid 40s and winds over 45mph. This week we got 24 inches of snow in less than 2 days, and the temperature is dropping below zero at night. Not perfect weather for my first year hunting with a flintlock. Only saw 1 deer last weekend and it was a yearling doe. On the plus side, the turkeys come in morning and evening and I just happen to have a license for them. Down side is so far they have all been hens and I want a n nice long beard. I normally use my Lyman GPR in 54, went the other way this year. TC Hawken flintlock in 45!
Shoot the hens (wink), getting harder every year to pull the Toms off the hens in the spring season.

Been waiting for this all year here in Indiana. Only to feel funky this week and find out it is Covid. Made it 2 1/2 years with a vaccine and 3 boosters. Wife and I feel like manure.

Hopefully it will ease up soon. I am setting here looking at my rifle and hunting gear all ready to go. Plan on taking the Kibler Colonial 58 until it is blooded.

Don

Firearm deer opens here the Monday after Thanksgiving. The Saturday before it opens the local supermarket is crowded with groups of guys with loaded shopping carts. Gotta stock up the deer camp!
It starts the Saturday after thanksgiving. Been that way for 3 or 4 years now. They ruined a good PA tradition!

Been waiting for this all year here in Indiana. Only to feel funky this week and find out it is Covid. Made it 2 1/2 years with a vaccine and 3 boosters. Wife and I feel like manure.

Hopefully it will ease up soon. I am setting here looking at my rifle and hunting gear all ready to go. Plan on taking the Kibler Colonial 58 until it is blooded.

Don
I’m sorry Don!! That stinks!! I hope it passes quickly!!

Now you can leave after turkey dinner Thursday get to camp and have your spot all ready Friday, and hunt Saturday AND Sunday now in Pa on the first week. Traditions are gone except the ones you make.
Carry a flinter!

Now you can leave after turkey dinner Thursday get to camp and have your spot all ready Friday, and hunt Saturday AND Sunday now in Pa on the first week. Traditions are gone except the ones you make.
Carry a flinter!
No Dutch. Being a taxidermist, I’m not hunting. I’m skinning everyone else’s deer. And now have to do it in Sunday.

I am planning the menu now for our PA trip to deer camp. We will probably have 8 guys in camp. It used to be 20 guys and everyone stayed for the week! Traditions certainly change over time and new traditions are started. My buck tag is already filled from archery season so I can relax and cook and maybe take the flintlock for a walk for a doe.

Back