• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mine starts Friday. Have had little time to prepare and of course its rained more than I can remember and likely the deer wont be hitting water hole I Picked out to sit. Anyway, I will be out there all day Friday and hope to get some venison to go with my 1st archery kill (a FAT cow elk) last month. Think of me..............

Well its over and Bambi lives. Not a bit of action. Between full moon (has always screwed with me for deer) and record rainfall (ie MUD and deer not hitting stock tanks) I saw one buck. A spike with horns size of his ears. As lucjk would have it I got out late opening AM and shot a fouling shot, swabbed and reloaded. I have NEVER had this occur with a gun over .32 but the ramrod stuck in the barrel when I seated the ball, and I had cut patch at bore so not oversized. As I struggled and struggled this lil feller walked slowly by the truck eyeballing me. 30 yds at closest. I considered screwing on an old broadhead to the other end and shooting rod but have no replacement for this gun so after twenty minutes of delicate language usage I finally was able to pull out 1/2 way then it loosened and I flipped the rid and reseated.

Had fun though! Next year will be different, maybe have a smoothie by then?

Sounds like my experience minus the stuck ramrod for early BP season here. Didn't see a thing.

Our regular firearm season is in December, so I'll get another chance.

Next time a patched ball gets stuck, reach for your canteen.

Pour a cap-full of water down the bore and let it rest for a minute or so.

9 out of 10 times the patch and fouling will soften allowing the ball to go the rest of the way down the bore.

One of the biggest fights in the plant where I worked was on grave yards. Two of the macho hunters got into a heated discussion of who was a better hunter.

The gun hunter asked the bow hunter if he wore the tight green leotards, pointy boots and the pointy hat hat when he hunted.

Local PD was called.

I have 11 more days for mine, bought the License day before yesterday, Its good till Aug. 31st. Deer season ends Jan. 31st. and squirrel ends Feb. 29.

Ours starts Saturday. I've only seen one legal buck in archery and muzzleload seasons so I'm not real optimistic. There are acorns everywhere you go. The deer don't have to move for food .... BUT the rut is starting to kick in. :hmm:

Zonie said:
Next time a patched ball gets stuck, reach for your canteen.

Pour a cap-full of water down the bore and let it rest for a minute or so.

9 out of 10 times the patch and fouling will soften allowing the ball to go the rest of the way down the bore.

Was a clean bore (no fouling shot). and ball was seated all the way but ramrod STUCK and had to pull ball out (which took 10-20 min?). Should have pulled right out with a clean bore, not an overly tight load, .440 with pillow ticking cut at muzzle? All I did was alchol wipe and pop caps. NEVER had this happen, have had balls in crocket "grab" the ram rod but never STUCK

Patocazador said:
Ours starts Saturday. I've only seen one legal buck in archery and muzzleload seasons so I'm not real optimistic. There are acorns everywhere you go. The deer don't have to move for food .... BUT the rut is starting to kick in. :hmm:

Saw just the one that watched me "struggle with my balls".

Son had rifle tag, he hunted 6 of the 14 day season (full days) and saw LOTS of elk but not even a doe? NEVER have driven in his unit (7) and not seen does? Game and Fish said this would be a tough hunt year per the UNUSUAL amount of water (its everywhere) but this was ridiculous. Thought was just us but I went yesterday and we ran upon a buddy that's as professional as you can be w/o being a guide and he had also seen ZERO deer? Be interested to see the harvest percentage for this hunt. Saw not ONE deer hanging in camps. Usually see about every 4th or 5th camp with a deer by Sunday of opening weekend.

Good luck to the others!

My niece, her husband, and her brother-in-law all filled their tags before 8:30 on opening morning this year. My sis sent me a picture, but I haven't talked to them about it. I'm guessing they must have got into one of those bunches of bucks in open country, each picked a buck and fired at the same time. Very lucky. They live in Paulden and were hunting north of there somewhere. I'm not sure which unit.

Next time your ram rod gets stuck, just shoot it out at the deer. That way you will be a black powder hunter and a archery hunter at the same time!,lol.

Back