• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Determining Maple Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srottman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you determine the difference grades of maple such as plain ,curly [1-4] and fancy on a pre-inletted stock?

Lots of little things I think... Like how tight are the curls or figure?.. are they consistant through out the complete stock with no fades? How does the grain run (slab or quater sawn or somewhere inbetween)? How is the grain in the wrist? and... Is there any flaws in the stock?

This is one question where the suppliers are happy to explain how they grade the wood. Dick Greensides at Pecatonica Rifle Works has been selling wood for over 30 years. When you order a stock, or go up to his shop to pick one out yourself, he tends to give you one grade better than what you ordered, or charge you one grade less than what you Think it should be, even after he explains his grading system!

I don't know that there is a written set of rules or guidelines on grading gunstock wood. Most of us recognize utility grade wood, whether maple, or walnut. Some of us recognize the highest grades, because of the breathtaking grain patterns, and fiddleback. In between, Most of us would have a problem. I can recognize the " Fade " where you have nice grain and fiddle back on one end of the stock, but not on the other. But, beyond that, I listen to the experts. Dick Greenside is one of the experts. He is set up at Friendship on Commercial Row for all the major Shoots, and you should certainly expect to find him there the second week in September. You can call him at his shop( Get contact info off his website, and you can find that on the " links " section here under Member Resources) and talk to him about what you are looking for, or what price range you want to spend.

Dixon's Gunbuilder's Fair is coming up in a couple of weeks, out in Pennsylvania, and there is always a truely competent, and knowledgeable wood expert there, selling stock blanks. Chuck Dixon is also a good man to talk to about grades of wood.If you look at the website for the fair, it will list the speakers, and there is almost always a presentation by the expert on woods. I sat in on it back in 2003, and learned not only how he grades, wood, but how to read the trees for some( not all-- Birdseye maple is very rare, and to date, there is no way to recognize such a tree from looking at the bark) grain structures by simply looking at the bark on the tree! That was fascinating. There are suppliers on both coasts, and in Missouri, so a phone call to the closest one should not break the piggy bank. In my past, I bought wood from both Bishop's Stocks, and Reinhardt Fajen, both in Warsaw, Missouri, out of catalogues, and after talking to them on the phone. Both firms are now closed. Boyd's has some of the operation that was Fajen's, I am told.

All of these businesses are considered " small " by today's corporate standards. They don't have separate order departments, and complaint departments like GM. If you call, chances are that you will be talking to the owner! Don't miss that chance. You will learn a lot, and make a good friend.

Good explanations ! Just want to add some more.
I was working for a while for a european gunmaker and we even had our own forest ! Besides being correct for certain guns where " plain" wood is called for - I always would choose some better wood for gunstocking. It will just be more value without costing much more. I also believe that in early America there was a lot of wood available, so why would a gunsmith not look for a nice blank. If you look at most supplyer's ,they offer fancy or grade 3 ,which seems to be the middle and I believe in maple means approx 70 % curl. This will be a nice stock without braking the bank. This said however doesn't mean it is exibition grade wood ( whatever this means...). We had stock blanks which where in the thousends of dollar price range.....
The biggest problem is ordering a blank without seeing. I would talk to the company I buy from, explain what I am looking for and let them choose. If I am really after something special you need to go there in person and sort through their inventory

I'd second that about seeing it. Several yrs ago I ordered a rifle from a very reputable co. I asked for premium grade. I just got a stock from
Pecatonica (their cheapest grade)and it is better than the premium from the other co. Without seeing it, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Thanks for your reply. I briefly meet Dick at friendship in Aug. Did not think to discuss grading stocks I will be going back in Sept. and will get up with him.

Back