• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DGW - 1863 Springfield Kit by Miroku

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Miroku model 1863, but I bought it completed, not as a kit. These are very well made guns, far better and more authentic than anything coming out of Italy. The italian guns are all overweight by virtue of denser, heavier wood and thicker barrels. The Mirokus are made to original dimensions and are almost identical in weight to originals. I also have a Miroku Model 1861. I can hold either Miroku in one hand and my Euroarms M1861 in the other and immediately tell a notable weight difference. The Euroarms feels like a boat anchor.

Downside to a Miroku M1863? - the stocks are two piece, joined under the lower band. I permenently joined the two parts with steel pins and epoxy. Spare parts are hard to find, but are rarely needed. Some lock parts are very similar, but slightly different from originals. They are forged too, not cast like the Italians. The Miroku is a M1863 type II. But it has a split lower band, but it should be a solid band. Not sure why they did that. But an original solid band is not hard to find.

If you are not interested in reenacting, it doesn't really matter. But for reenactors, these are not real popular because they can only be used in later war events which limits their utility. I picked mine up used because it was a good price. I use it for late war events occasionally, but also lay it out for living history displays.

Overall, they are a very well made musket. Miroku doesn't make them anymore. Dixie must be selling the last of their stock.

Good luck!

Just FYI S&S firearms in Glendale NY sell the Euroarms 1861 for $635 and the 1863 for $665 and the 3 band Enfield for $545 and they come ready to shoot. ....Just say'n

P

I was thinking about the split lower band
which I think may have been intentional
only because I have read that some of the
features of the 1853 Enfield were used
in the final design which also has the split
band.

Cheers,Rob

The Springfield Model 1863 Type II was a refinement of the Type I that had a problem with the barrel bands coming loose under recoil. The Type II resolved this by reinstating band springs and using a less expensive lower and upper band.

Here's a photo of an original Type II:
Springfield Model 1863 Type II rifle musket

Perhaps you are thinking of the Colt Model 1861 Special musket that definately had Enfield influence.

Yes

Thanks for your imput,if I recall someone
was making repro colt rifles a while back?

Rob

Yes, there were some repro Colt M1861 specials made a few years ago. I believe they came out of Italy and were made with a lot of existing production Enfield parts. There is a standard version and a "signature" series. The signature series muskets have "Sam Colt" on the trigger guard. These come up pretty frequently on the gun auction sites. Not a big demand for them.

Latest posts

Back