• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Diameter of .54 patch? / How to cut pillow ticking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm sold on square patches (not sure I want to cut my own at the muzzle). Has anyone empirically come up with a size that always seems to work well with .54 caliber? Something a bit bigger than the minimum?

1.75" or perhaps 2"? Thanks again.

Doesn't need to be that big. I use 1 1/2" squares on my .62 smoothbore.

I took a 1 1/4 hole saw ground off the teeth and sharpened it. I tear off 1 1/2 strips i can cut 10-15 patches at a time on my drill press.

Measure mine at about 3.5mm or just a little short of 1.25 inches.

They will fit well in an old RWS cap tin with very little space at the sides.

The lower depression of the top of a new CCI Tin for #10 caps are just the right size for a .54 caliber patch.

This got me to thinking that you could pre-cut a few patches using a sharp knife or blade by following the profile of that CCI cap tin depression.

Back