• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

differentance between 3f and 2f

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jparsons

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been told there is about 15grn difference in volume between 3f and 2f so shooting 60 grns of 3f is about 75 of 2f does anyone know if this is true .

Most people reduce their loads 10-15 percent when going from 2F to 3F. This is due to 3F being finer and produces more vel and perssure.

I have found my rifles get the same velocity and groups using about 10% less powder when going from FF to FFF. Which is why I shoot FFF. Ten percent more shots/lb. :idunno: :idunno:

Thanks everyone for the information I've never done this nut couldn't a max charge by volume of 3f ne dangerous in a older gun that would be about 130 grns and that what the modern muzzleloaders use in loose powder

No not really, unless the older gun was in danger of exploding from the day it was made, or it has been damaged, assuming it was a properly made BP barrel. An antique barrel is something else, and a primitive barrel (hand cut threads on the breech plug) shouldn't be shot (imho).

Black powder hasn't really changed all that much in the past 150 years. The only real improvement was "glazing" with graphite. You shouldn't be pushing an antique barrel, or a barrel from an unknown maker, to max loads. Most of the factory made adjustable measures go to 120 grains (iirc).

So as you near max loads, 15% becomes significant, but for usual loadings the difference is not that great. So a 100 grain load in 2Fg would be similar to a 115 grain load in 3Fg, but an 80 grain 2Fg load is only 92 grains of 3Fg.

I use 70 grains of 3Fg in my .54, which would be only 60 grains if I switched to to 2Fg and used the same measure. I prefer using 3Fg as it works better for consistant velocities, leaves less soot, and works well as a priming powder.

I think the problem is that 4Fg is really not good for a main charge in a rifle, and when muzzleloading resurged in the 1960's, a lot of unchecked, antique guns were tried out, and several accidents occurred using large loads of 4Fg..., and folks today assume that if 4Fg is bad when you should use 3Fg, then 3Fg might be bad when folks should be using 2Fg..., and so on...

Basically, there is rarely a reason to max out a load in a BP gun.

LD

cap lock said:
Thanks everyone for the information I've never done this nut couldn't a max charge by volume of 3f ne dangerous in a older gun that would be about 130 grns and that what the modern muzzleloaders use in loose powder

To be safe, go with what the rifles makers says is max for that gun.

No, the question was concerning the max increase of 15% and the way I wrote it, was to demonstrate that with a 15% increase my 70 grain load would decrease to 60 grains if I switched up to 2Fg from 3Fg is all. I don't switch up.

LD

Back