• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Distance to sight in new Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerheaven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When sighting in new rifle what distance do you start at and where do you go from there?thanks

I start out close with anything for the initial sighting in (usually around 25 yards). That way I HOPEFULLY don't miss then entire backstop! :D

Supposedly if you sight in at 12-13 yds you are supposed to be on at 100 yds. Also, this will get you on the paper and you can work back from there and try at 25-50-75- and 100.

Hi deerheaven,

It depends a lot on what range you expect to do most of your shooting at. If you expect to do most of your shooting at about 100 yards, then you'll want your point blank range (meaning the range where the bullet hits exactly where your sights are as opposed to above or below your point) set at 100 yards. Now a lot of this is going to depend upon the loads that you work up, but basically if your getting muzzle velocities around 1800-2000 fps, this will work. With that velocity, if you're sighted in at 100 yds, the bullet will hit dead on at 100 all the way through 115 yds. After that you have to compensate for drop.

To get this to hit point blank at 100 yards, you'll actually be shooting up a little bit. So, at 50 yards your shot will be about 2" high. So, at 100 to 115 yards the bullet will hit right where your sights are set, and everything in between will be within 2" of your sight line. That will pretty well take care of most deerhunting with a muzzleloader and open sights.

To get sighted in, you need to put it on paper first and at 12 yards the bullet hasn't gone above your sight plane yet, so that's a good starting point. Once you have it on paper at 12 yards, move it out to 50 yards and make sure your still close. You should be a little high at this point so whatever else you do, DON"T file down your front sight blade yet. Make left and right adjustments and adjust the rear sight if it's shooting a lot more than 2" high. Finally move out to the 100-yard mark and get it as close as you can to dead-on.

If you sight the gun in for 50 yards, you should hit dead-on right out to 50 yards. But then at 100 yards it'll drop about 3 3/4" to 4", which isn't bad, but at 125 yards it will drop 8-8 1/2", which sucks. If most of your shooting is at 50 yards or less this works fine, but if it's out at 100 yds, you should sight in for 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

If the rifle is reasonably accurate at 100 yards, which I'm sure it is, I'd sight in for 100...even if most of your shots are likely to be closer, it can be easy to miss judge range a bit, deer at 100 yards might look like it's at 50-60 yards. (or visa versa) A 100 yard point-blank will just give you a good fudge-factor. That Kentucky windage thing does not actually work very well when shooting "for real".

I usually start out at 25 yards...as long as the sights are centered somewhat on the barrel it will hit the paper at that distance. (although my Jaeger, first time I shot it was hitting the dirt at that range!!!) (TALL front sight)

As mentioned let it shoot a little high at 25 and 50, (unless it's like eight inches high or more) and then zero for elevation at whatever you decide your point blank range is...and again, any rifle of .45 calibre and bigger I'd sight for 100.

The range of my Brown Bess, accuracy-wise, is about 75 yards, but I still have it a bit high at 75, just in case I THINK something is at 75, but is farther, and I take the shot.

Rat

I think you have a two part question there so here goes with a two part :m2c: answer. Like most of the other folks said, initially you should sight in your rifle at a relatively close range, say 25 yards. Use a target that is easy to see and a sheet of buthchers paper as a backing in case the sights are way off. After you get her shooting in the bull ( you should decide on what type of sight picture and sight alignment you want by this time), sight the rifle in at the optimum range you expect to shoot at. Say it is 100 yards. So at that range your rifle should plant your bullets righ where you want them AND you should know where you will hit at 50 yards and at 150 yards -- just in case --and remember how to adjust your sight picture and sight alignment depending on the estimated range of your target.

Latest posts

Back