• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has any one had any experience with dixie gun works products? Such as dixie rifles or pistols.Your opinion on them.

Depends on what you're ordering. They sell guns made by different manufacturers (as well as custom guns). I've bought guns from them in the past. Their customer service has been good in my experience.

As far as guns go, more details are needed. Have anything in particular in mind?

They are a seller , not maker. They stock a good varity of guns and supplies and have good customer service and are good people to deal with. They are very helpful if you need a part and require advice on "non stock " items.

TheHungryHunter said:
Iam thinking about percussion pistol

Can you be more specific? They sell different percussion pistols from different makers.

Also, many of their guns have customer reviews (the link below the description). They're worth reading as well.

Well for example,on the page Dixie Handguns, there is a Kentucky Pistol 45 cal percussion made by armi sport/italy. lyman great plains pistol is also made in italy,how are thy compared to each other in quality?

Actually, dixie carries three pistols of the type you mention, I would rate the Traditions probably at the bottom of this list...though perfectly shootable, the fit and finish can be sketchy. The Lyman Great Plains pistol is more classic Mountain Man era pistol and available in .50 or .54. They have a pretty praise worthy record through the years. Pedersoli also makes a "kentucky" style pistol and though a bit more expensive, is available in .45, .50 & .54. It's like the Traditions in shape but of much better quality...think I'd rather save my lunch money a bit longer and go for the Lyman or Pedersoli.

Thanks for the come back. I,am leaning towards the Great Plains Pistol since I have there trade rifle and the GPR.Thanks again.

That would probably be the best match.If you'd like to take a swing at a kit pistol, they also carry the Deer Creek "Hawken Pistol". This is merely the latest reincarnation of the early CVA
Mountain Pistol" which were very popular during the 70's and later when the "Mountain Rifle" was so in demand. They shot well and had the belt hook which we all managed to hang up on something near and dear to our hearts! :wink: :haha: They were, and still are, Spanish made but worked well...just a thought. The kit's only like $175 and comes in .50.

These pistols had a rather long butt and it became a contest amongst the daffier lot to see who could do the neatest job of checkering the grip...just for the halibut! :doh: It was the 70's remember! :rotf:

TheHungryHunter said:
Well for example,on the page Dixie Handguns, there is a Kentucky Pistol 45 cal percussion made by armi sport/italy. lyman great plains pistol is also made in italy,how are thy compared to each other in quality?

I just searched their website and I can't find a Kentucky pistol made by Armisport. Are you looking at their paper catalog? If it's an older catalog, they might not have that one in stock anymore.

I bought their version of the Smith rifle, still has Pietta stamped in the barrel. Comes from the Pietta factory.
Dixie will sometimes order some "seconds" and put their name on them and reduce the price a bit.
Most times you can't tell the difference.
I used to buy wholesale from them, but they made the requirements too high for a small shop.
Then Midway discontinued their dealer accounts.
So I found another.
Their requirements are more relaxed, and the pricing is almost as good.
So I don't do much Dixie anymore.

I have purchased parts, leathers, holsters, and even a couple of pistols from Dixie. I havn't had a problem. Mater of fact I am putting together a order now that will be placed after the Holidays. I can't justify buying toys for myself right now since gift giving time is upon us.

I have been dealing with DGW for years and have nothing but praise for them. They are always most helpful with any problems you may have with items ordered. For instance I had difficulty removing stuck nipples from a revolver I had ordered. I shipped the cylinder back to them with the two stuck nipples still in place. They sent it back with six new nipples installed finger tight. And the service was prompt. Good people.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far, away...

...I had a list of what company actually made what that was for relabeled-sale at the PX. Some no-names brand stuff was good, some godawful. If a name brand made it chances, at least, were it was among the best. Not knowing you really took your chances!

Needed a room Air Conditioner. Buddy in HVAC pulled out a book that said who/what country actually manufactured which name brand's units SKU by SKU, he ordered one made here vs. china, and sent me to his wholesaler to pick it up.

Once upon a time there weren't many options. When people were cutting down their jeans to make britches and regimentals were made from polyesters (before they were put on the endangered species list) Dixie was far out man. I think they still have one foot in that era and you REALLY have to know what you are buying from them specifically as their products tend to underwhelm me in authenticity and quality.

TheHungryHunter said:
Has any one had any experience with dixie gun works products? Such as dixie rifles or pistols.Your opinion on them.

Are you asking about the arms listed specifically with "Dixie" in the front of the title?

Latest posts

Back