• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

do you use a dry wad while hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
ive been curious, do any of you guys/gals use a dry wad to seperate your lubed patch from your powder while on long hunting trips?

ive never kept my rifle loaded for any long period of time before. im a little worried that the lube from the patch and lubed wad i use will contaminate the powder. i use a lubed wonder patch and a lubed wonder wad under that. (seems to yield the best groups with the least fouling.)

-Matt

I'v never had any problems with a greased patch sittin right atop the powder charge. I hav left my gun loaded for several days and it always went off first try and hit the point of aim. I think the only way u'd run into trouble is if you used a very thin,oily lube and used lots of it.

I use a little wad of toilet paper or paper towel. Don't know if it really helps, but gives me peace of mind. Bill

Well, I use a 1/8 dry fiber wad at the range and when I hunt, But last year after I missed a deer I reloaded without the fiber wad and the next evening got my deer, But the lube was mink oil which I have left loaded for 4 days straight and my rifle went off with no hang fire when I unloaded it to go home. I use the wad because it gives me better accuracy. I think with most grease type lubes you should'nt worry about contaminating your powder if loaded for an extended time.

Matt85 said:
ive been curious, do any of you guys/gals use a dry wad to seperate your lubed patch from your powder while on long hunting trips?
im a little worried that the lube from the patch and lubed wad i use will contaminate the powder. i use a lubed wonder patch and a lubed wonder wad under that.
Not 'dry' ones...but have used Oxyoke 'Wonderwads' (wool wads prelubed with their Wonder-Lube) over Pyrodex in caplocks, and then Goex in Flintlocks for the past 20+ years.
Wonderlube / Natural Lube 1000 are advertised not to contaminate powder and my experience is that they work as advertised, both in prelubed patches and wads.

longrifle78 said:
I'v never had any problems with a greased patch sittin right atop the powder charge. I hav left my gun loaded for several days and it always went off first try and hit the point of aim.

Same here. But in our wet climate I also put a strip of electrical tape over the muzzle. That keeps out moisture for sure, but in our rough terrain I'm more concerned about blocking out mud, sticks and snow. If you haven't tried getting those out of a bore yet, a single experience will make you a fan of electrical tape.

If it is wet outside,I always use a folded cloth patch over my powder. A penny child's ballon stretched over the muzzle ( I like the blue color the best) and wax from a candle over the percussion cap. In camp I remove the percussion cap ( safety reasons) and place a piece of leather over the nipple w/ hammer down.

Way back in the 1980's a friend I was deer hunting with rifle would not fire at the end of the day when unloading back at the truck. I helped him pull the load and gave him a ball puller for future use. His load was a conical of somekind atop some very damp powder. I don't know if he was shooting pyrodex or real black powder but since that day I have tried to always put a wad or folded up patch atop my powder if not shooting right away............watch yer top knot..........

Back