• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anybody make a left hand Kentucky Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmdye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello, quick question. does anybody make a left hand Kentucky Rifle? i was goign thru the post and i noticed some lefties have problems shooting right handed rifles. i havent shot mine i have a tradtions Kentucky Rifle, i received as a gift. but just incase im looking for a work around. i have put allot of extra cash into this fine hobby. i hate to see that money go to waste. i also really want to stick with it. so just incase im trying to get all my ducks in a row. i know about the lyman GPR. i really dont want a HAWKEN type rifle. i also saw dixe gun works does a very nice Tennessee Mountain Rifle, at a very nice price of 675, i have no problem giving around 400 but when a black bowder cost more than my last AR i built. its getting a little steep. thank you for your time.
Ronald

Ronald, I shot right handed flints from the left shoulder for about a half dozen years before I admitted I occasionally flinched. I settled for 2 Lyman's..the GPR and the Deerhunter. I'm toying with buying the Issac Haynes kit from Jim Chambers, which is available in left hand....Dixie GW had a lefthand vs of it Tenn poor boy for a while, but a friend of mine who bought one about 2 years ago was told it was being discontinued, and that he was lucky to get one....it seems to me that, if at least 15% of the population, the lowest estimate, is left handed, some mfr's are missing the boat in not providing a couple of choices for left handers....if you find any sources beyond these, please list them on the board...a number of us would be grateful...Hank

rmdye,
this is a true story!!! i was at my local gun club
one weekday morning shooting my percussion hawkin.
another member was there and he was shooting a right hand
f/l left handed. i made a comment about his unusual shooting style and he said he had a left handed f/l ordered
and on its way. his big concern was being able to find left handed flints. :crackup: :crackup: :hmm: :huh: :what:
snake-eyes :peace: :)

thanks for the info guys, i was afraid of that. i havent shot it yet. like i said it was a gift. i really like it. i guess i will keep looking and see what i can come up with. if i find anything i will post it.

Ronald

More money and not "Kentucky," but TVM's Tennessee, Southern and Early Virginia rifles are available left-handed. I haven't handled them in LH, but the right-hand versions belonging to friends are really nice. I shot them left-handed without problems, but would definitely get a southpaw shooter if I dropped a dime. Though you aren't interested in Hawkens, I've shot the GPR in both right and left, and it does make a difference in my shooting to get that pan out from in front of my face. If you change your mind about Hawkens, it's hard to go wrong with the GPR.

If you are shooting a caplock and not a flintlock there shouldn't be too much problem shooting a rt. handed gun left handed. You don't have that flash and flame in front of your face from the vent of a flinter.

I think you'll enjoy this, a few years ago a friend of mine asked me to come over and shoot a deer in his orchard. We live in a firearm resticted area with choices between revolvers, shotguns, and muzzleloaders. I grabbed my .44 revolver and headed out. When I got there the range felt a little long for the hand gun so he went and got his front stuffer for me. I shouldered it and something didn't feel quite "right". I pulled it back down and asked him where it shot. He said "dead on" so I shouldered it again and killed a very nice 3 point Blacktail. It wasn't until we had him hanging and I picked the rifle up for a picture that I realized it was left-handed! I'm a righty and my buddy still enjoys razzing me about that!

Latest posts

Back