• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does this knife have a quality blade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib load

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,I found this old knife in my shop that has been there for 30 years.I would like to make a hunting knife out of it if the blade is hard enough.The blade has forge craft hi carbon written on it.The blade is 7 inches long and the whole thing is in good shape.Thanks,squib
knife001-1.jpg

I have a slicer from the same company. Great carbon steel that keeps an edge and sharpens well. I'd sharpen it, make a sheath and use it as is.....

Just go slow and do not over heat the blade as you work on it. I would even leave the scales as is.

Rock Hill is a cool place - used to live in Florence and did some work in RH, SC. It was a bit odd to learn that there are no flintlocks on Flintlock Road. :hmm:

CS

Hi,I have lived here all my life.Iam really surprized at the history in this area.We have kings mountain,the first battle that turned the war in our favor.We have cowpens,the birthplace of Andrew Jackson,brattensville where the patriot was filmed.Just a few miles to camden sc.Asyou can tell I like history.squib

I have several Forgecraft Hi Carbons that came in a bucketful of old knives but couldn't find much history on the company so I wonder if Forgecraft was a series name. Here is one I "remodeled"
(click to enlarge)

About the same as the "Old Hickory" which is owned by Ontario Knife Company and dates to 1889......Randy

i picked up two like yours at a garage sale several years ago in Fla. The main part of the blade was left as is , but I put new scales and a brass half hilt on it. I sliced myself on a butcher knife years ago and always like a stop for my hand going down the blade when wet with blood and fat .
Both have Ontario stamped on the blade and the other also had Old Hickory on the scale . Very good carbon steel. I use the one I modified to scrape horns or scrape stocks for refinishing . The dirt embedded in the horn scales will dull it after a while , but a touch on the stone brings it right back . It also is my main carry knife and works to cut patches at the muzzle . :thumbsup:

I have one like that marked Old Hickory and it holds a great edge. I use it for reenacting and hunting.

Foster From Flint

You are right about the history. I went to events at all of those places and more when I was a member of the 2nd SC Light Infantry.

2nd SC

If I were anywhere near, I would rejoin in a second. Tell them that Tommy Lee has returned from playing in the Pacific and sent you.

CS

Back