• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dog+man+flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Equals, squirrel!

Now very very tender! :doh:
Little Jess lacks in her retrieve but makes up in making sure it's dead! :shake:

Any way it was a test, this here Artax Manton shoots high and how I want to mount the gun makes it worse. I don't want to bend the stock or barrel so I filed the muzzle, it being thin walled at the muzzle.
Earlier a test shot on an old beech tree showed with the gun mounted how I want the pattern covered what I was looking at.
I aim just the same at the treed squirrel too so things are looking good :thumbsup:

Jess later bolted a fox that leapt into a pond and swam across, shame dirty girl Bess was not out with me! 1&12oz of BB may of just done the trick!
And then she bolted a rabbit but I missed, like usual :doh:

B.

:hmm: Sounds like the title of a recipe, "Chewed Squirrel", a gourmet's delight, LOL. Like the beginning of the recipe for cubed moose, first you cube a moose, first you chew a squirrel, or have a friend do it for you. Keep yer powder dry.....robin

Last edited by a moderator:
My golden retriever likes to do the same thing. I have to get the squirrel from her quickly or she tries to bite the head off and swallow it whole!

Saw her hunt a small rabbit, about the size of a gopher, out of a clump of grass and she grabbed it by the head and bit it off so quickly I couldn't stop her. I ran over there as the head was swallowed and noticed that the heart was exposed and beating wildly yet! :shocked2: Crazy.

Glad Jess is having fun!

A few years ago my nephew told me hie 6 year old daughter was better then any dog at retrieving squirrels. She didn't slobber on them.

The squirrels in the woods are pretty cagey at this point in the year...., I see them at a distance but when I get in close they've already scampered off.

Thinking I should beef up a few rat traps and try for the ones in the neighborhood. Squirrels are considered a pest in suburbia, and a game animal in the woods. My state is strange.

LD

Never had a real huntin dog, I have shepherds. My first, at age 17, went duck hunting with me. Real good in the blind. Ducks drifted in the deeks, boom! mallard drake down. I got up, went to drag my raft to the lake and looked in joy to see ol Sarge swimming like heck to the downed bird. Sniffed, circled twice and came back (w/o bird). Shepherds dont like ducks?

With squirrels my shepherds have always rushed em as they hit dirt grabbed em and shake the manure outta em. Most have teeth marks in the flesh! (not penetrating but bruised)

See...saved you the 'tenderizing' step! Kind of reminds me of our pointer Goldie. Kind of tough on dove and quail till she was about three! :wink: They learn! :haha:

The first year she'd bolt and end up under the geographic center of the car and we'd have to drag her out and start over! She became a wonderful working dog and later with one of her puppies from the first litter, proved to be a marvelous retriever. I don't believe there's anything more fascinating then watching one dog honor another's point and working together.

Wes/Tex said:
The first year she'd bolt and end up under the geographic center of the car and we'd have to drag her out and start over! She became a wonderful working dog and later with one of her puppies from the first litter, proved to be a marvelous retriever. I don't believe there's anything more fascinating then watching one dog honor another's point and working together.

Thanks friend :hatsoff:

B.

I've looked everywhere trying to find a picture of her but nearly all my old photos were last seen headed toward Galveston Bay when Hurricane Alicia came to call back in 1983. I still laugh remembering the three litters of puppies. Tiny little wobbly things staggering around in the grass and suddenly freeze into a perfect point position! We'd carefully walk over to see what was going on...certainly wasn't quail. Sometimes a grasshopper would buzz up and sometimes nothing at all. Best guess is their ass got upwind of their nose! :wink: :haha: :rotf:

Back