• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dogs of March

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktales

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I like my Coyote hunting and March is my favorite month to go.
I was out two other times this Winter and conditions were less than ideal. So, I figured I'd get out today, temps were above freezing at daybreak and the remaining snow wasn't going to last long with a warm spell ahead.

I set up at my first spot after spooking four deer on the way in.
I put out my Hen Turkey decoy and a Mojo critter next to it for some motion. I then started to use some hand held distress calls. I like the Tweety as well as Sceery calls. Nothing for the first 3 series of calls.
About 8:00, I made another call, when out of the corner of my eye, I caught movement to my left about 100 yds into the hardwoods. A nice light colored dog was moving in and was focused on my decoys, and not me!
It was about 60 yds out and I lost sight of it. She was trying to circle the decoys to get wind of them. Next she zigs back towards the decoys and moves in for them.
My hammer was cocked and I squeezed the set trigger. When I had a shot, I tapped the main trigger and when the smoke cleared, The dog was down 20 feet from my decoys.

Lyman GPR .54, .530 round ball with 85 gr. 3f did the trick.
Shot was about 40 yds out.

Beautiful female with a very healthy Winter coat.

IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Swampy said:
She'll make a nice rug. :grin: :thumbsup:

I think that's what we're going to do. The fur is the nicest I've seen in a while. She tipped the scales about 35 lbs.

Congratulations. That is a fine animal. A couple of more like that and you can make a very expensive jacket for your wife, and she will love you for it the rest of her life.

Congrats on the coyote. Question, you were using a turkey decoy, what sound was the call making? The reason I ask is I am new in the calling game for coyotes. I have shot two this winter one was about to eat a piece of cardboard I hung from a branch and the other was running when I stood up. Do you think it is necessary for the sound to match the visual? I was thinking anything to take their eyes off of me would work, but I have only had one come all the way in so I am no pro at it. Thanks, Ron

No Ron.
I use hand held calls only and only a snowshoe or cottontail call is "native". They'll come in to a Western jackrabbit call too, even though there are none here.
I started using a Turkey decoy after it got jumped by a 3 legged coyote during turkey season. And the motorized Mojo decoy doesn't seem to resemble anything.
Looks to me like they are fixed on distress noise and movement and I throw in the turkey decoy for a little window dressing.
That combination worked today. Watch the wind direction too, as I place the decoys "off to the side" to utilize crosswind.

Once in a while, I'll use a pine or earth cover scent.
More times, I'll use natural cover scent like rubbing hemlock on my clothes.
Most important is to play the wind.
I'm still learning this self-taught game and screw ups and mistakes are the best teachers.
Better yet, is leaving the modern scoped guns home and using BP guns. :grin:

I have one of those Mojo decoys. I will agree that it really doesn't represent anything. It just twirls some synthetic fur every few seconds or so.

Too bad mine decided to quit working. I need to send it back to have it repaired.

I'm suprised the pelt was still good. Our dogs start to rub around the first week of january. Nice job!

Nice work! I was out this past sunday afternoon starting to scout for turkeys and man did I see a ton of coyote sign. You have me thinking about lowering the population now.

Wess

No doubt, thinning them out ain't a bad idea, especially near your Turkey ground.
I'm thinking of going Saturday before it gets too late and their fur is rubbed. As said, March, for me is my favorite Coyote month.

I started using a hen Turkey decoy after last Spring's Turkey season. Dogs seem to be attracted to the decoy. My wife and I first had a 3 legged coyote attack the decoy and an hour later a pack of four males came within 50 feet of our setup.

This particular female never lost eye contact with the decoys on her approach.
The more I hunt these dogs, the more I learn, mostly from mistakes. I have a lot of respect for these adaptable animals.

i use my brothers summit climbing stand for coyotes.

it has made big difference in wind thing.

i also use turkey decoy and rabbit call distrees one.

we got 8 fox this way in 1 night, i got 3 in one spot in 15 minutes.

i used to use ladder stand but to hard to move it around.

climbing stand i can be up tree in 10 minuts or less at about 12 ft high.

Nice work there. I will have to try that load in the Lyman Great Plains I am going to get.

Back