• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't Forget to Aim

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well... I finally got out turkey hunting again today. I hope that by sharing my story, it will help the frustration and nausea to subside. :barf:

Got out to a farm where I know there is one tom... and only one. Waited until I heard a gobble and was happy he was still in there. I moved close to where I figured he would be after flydown, on the edge of a field. I put out one hen decoy, because I tried a full strut decoy on this bird about a week ago and he didn't like it.

Anyway, about 5:30am I am thinking it is pretty light and maybe I should call since I hadn't heard a gobble in about 10 minutes. While I am still thinking, I hear a very soft hen yelp. Then another... and a hen appears from the woods not 30 yards to my left and walks right by my decoy. She purred softly on the way by and moved out a bit to the right and started feeding. I know that is good, because this time of year the tom will usually not be far from the ladies. Anyway, that hen makes some soft yelps and clucks and I am starting to get the feeling this is a great set up. A minute or two later I heard a gobble from my left. Then I see another hen coming acoss the corner of the field to my left, right to my decoy... and the big strutter is about 30 yards behind her. :hmm: The hen comes right to my decoy and starts agressive purrs. Then she jumps up and whacks my decoy and the big tom gobbled at that and he walks quickly right over, and well into my range. About 15 yards I am am already picturing him over my shoulder and thinking of the smile that will be on my face all day. I'm pretty sure it was right about that point in time where my brain stepped out for a drink or something, because I "pointed" the flintlock at the tom and pulled the trigger. When the smoke cleared, he jumped and flew. I jumped up and watched him fly about 100 yards and veer into the bush - no sign of a hit at all.

When I replay the sickening episode in my head, I realize I never really aimed. And, the sore spot on my bicep tells the tale of where the gun but was, but shouldn't have been. I just plain screwed up and I am not sure whether to laugh or throw up. Chances at toms don't come easy and I have already beaten myself up over this, and expect to do so several more times. I think I contracted a severe case of over confidence, thinking with my great skill that the tom was already dead on his feet. There's nothing like a good swift kick in the berries by Mr. Reality to straighten a fella out. :shake:

All kind words of encouragement are welcome. :(

I too have been kicked in the berries by mister Tom many a time. I have figured that with a flinter just any slight movement and you are off. At least he is still out thereand waiting on you too try again but remember he is smarter now. Like they are not smart enough already. but I got a feeling you can out smart him just bee ready for another great adventure in Gods great outdoor show. Good luck.

Its called "bird-feaver" a sub classification of "buck-feaver". Although some preventitve measures have been discovered there is no known cure and may it always stay that way. :wink:

Iam so glad that someone else has this affliction. You might as well laugh it off because something similar will probably happen again. At least it does with me on a regular basis. :redface:
Good hunt none the less.

Did you follow up & check the area where he flew to after the shot?
My first turkey flew at least 100 yards too. I was starting to think that I had missed him also when I followed up & searched hard for a while before I found where he crash landed. When I did find him it was already lights out, not a wounded bird.

I appreciate your honesty...and I believe anyone who hunts a lot has that happen to them sooner of later...I eased around a tree in a trail still hunting for deer one time and there 40yds away stood a young 4 pointer on full alert, tail on the rise...I threw the rifle to my shoulder and missed him clean over his back...best I could figure is that I never even put my head down on the stock...

Bald Mtn Man said:
Did you follow up & check the area where he flew to after the shot?

Good advice... and yes I did. I shot a turkey four years ago that rocketed outta there after the shot and then flew into a tree 75 yards into the bush and crash landed dead as a turnip. So, I'm wise to that and had a good look where I saw this morning's turkey go in. No feathers where I shot and no bird in the woods. I'm pretty sure I missed. Luckily, he was so close that my pattern was fairly tight and I think I was far enough off that he never got a pellet. In my repeated mental analysis of the callamity, I think I had the gun down on my bicep a bit, which led me to point left of where I thought, plus the bird was moving to the right = miss. :redface:

I'm mostly over it now. Sucks to miss, but the bruise on my ego will heal. :haha:

I've never done anything like that :shake: nope...not me...uh-ah.....ahhh, :hmm: ...well maybe once....OK, maybe more than once :redface:

You'll play that missed shot over and over in your mind and there's nothing you can do about it except let time take care of it. We've all been there and done that...and more! Experience is a good teacher, although not kind in the process. Just this season, I re-learned (again) that turkeys can come in behind you without so much as a cluck...until you move and then it's PUTT! PUTT! PUTT! as they scurry away without a shot opportunity! Tom

That's why they call it hunting , not killing.We have all been there,just some of us won't admit to it. You'll remember that bird more now than if you would gotten him.

The positive side to this story is that you did call this bird in. Your hunting tactics are good and you will do it again. Now you know one more thing not to do...add it to the long list of things not to do that you have already learned the hard way on the road to learning the ways of the wild turkey. Smile about the fact that you are blessed to be able to hunt these magnificient birds and that they are a very worthy advisery.
My .02 cents,
Idaho PRB

Back