• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double ball??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a question about double-balling. I have heard of people doing this for hunting bigger game like elk, moose or bear, but I am a bit leary. i guess i dont like the thought of a gun blowing up in my face. So if you have experience hunting this way, please share. I am going elk hunting in the fall and have not decided on my .50 longrifle or .62 Fusil de Chasse. I have asked around and most shots in the area fall under 50-60 yards so i think either would work. Suggestions from you pros???

Either one of those guns will work fine providing they are accurate at the range you mentioned. If your worried, use that .62, no double ball load necessary.

billholmes said:
I got a question about double-balling.
I guess i dont like the thought of a gun blowing up in my face.
Do if you have experience hunting this way

FWIW, I agree with Swampy and would choose the .62cal.
I havn't "hunted" with a double ball load but do have some first hand experience testing them at the range. T/C Arms used to actually list .45 and .50cal double ball loads in their owner's manual years ago. I tested T/C's loads at 50 yards with 100grns 2F as suggested and in both cases the pair of balls consistently printed within 2-3 inches of each other.

And in each case, the total weight of the double ball loads did not exceed the weight of the same caliber conical so there's really no concern over the total weight of the load.
Just ensure the second PRB is a snug fitting one and is firmly seated down on top of the first PRB as you wouldn't want the balls to become separated in the bore, creating an obstruction kind of a situation.

Having enjoyed all that bit of discovery, bottom line is I never thought of it as any advantage in hunting and never bothered with it...would rather have one PRB getting all the velocity instead of a pair of slower PRBs...that's just me

You don't need the double ball for either of those guns at 50 to 60 yards, so why bother?

Some states do not allow more than one projectile in an ML, BTW. Colorado is one example.

I have loaded and shot double balls in my .50 but only out of curiosity. At 50 yards they tended to pattern vertically about five inches apart.

Bill,

RB is correct. You'll get a 'double tap' a few inches apart, but at a loss of velocity. For hunting i would stick with one round ball getting All the velocity.

FWIW, i have double, and triple, balled at Rond's on speed shoots &c. and its pretty cool knocking over more than one pin per shot, but i wouldnt attempt it for hunting. :v

If you can get that close I would go with the Fusil without a second thought one ball will suffice, IO know some who have used double ball loads but at close range to get the balls close together so I don't know if there is much to gain.

tg said:
If you can get that close I would go with the Fusil without a second thought one ball will suffice, IO know some who have used double ball loads but at close range to get the balls close together so I don't know if there is much to gain.

I agree. I tried just cuz I thought it would be cool and why not right?..My best groups went WAY to hell between 25 and 50 yards. FAR more limiting then a well placed shot out to 100 yards.
I never tried it in the field.

I've experimented with that but never hunted loaded with it.
some old timers around here still use muzzlers for bear hunting and load the 2 PRB load for close shots on treed/cornered bear. (all of them I went with carry .45cals BTW)

Latest posts

Back