• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
When you see game (rabbits, turkey, squirrel, ect.), do you cock both barrels before raising the gun to your shoulder, or just cock them one at a time as needed?

I would assume you would do both for that quick second shot, but maybe some do not... :hmm:

Just wondering... :hmm:

MUSKETMAN...I know ya know the answer to this trick question. i personally do not ever cock both hammers when hunting....never... It jest dont feel right,
natural, or should I say it is too weird feeling...
I sure would not want the 2nd barrel going off when I didnt expect it to or something fer what ever reason...
Oh....but I would cock both if I was gonna stop
an intruder... there is a big difference there...

**** WV SCROUNGER ***

Musketman....
Two fun questions in the same day. I commend you for taking interest and working to keep this part of the forum alive. I have not bin on the forum long but it has brought me lots on good information, and it has bin lots of fun getting to know some of the people that hang hear. :master:

OK,,, back OT
Hunting non dangerous game, I cock one at a time. Dangerous game however many legs it may have, all hammers back on the way in. I have even practised with the double using two fingers on the triggers, but also found out with that technic the back trigger must be pulled with the middle finger first....... other wise when the front trigger is pulled first it come in contact with the middle finger pulling the back trigger. O boys and girls can you guess what happens then?
Lets just say I was glad that it was only a 12Ga and not something like my 577/450 number 1 BP Express..... OCH !
But something that will help you remember to do it right.....
Trying new things can sure be fun, and sometimes painful. :imo:
Hairsmith

When I shot doubles, I would only cock one side at a time, had one double up on me once, knocked the stuffing right out of me... (and that's not good for a scarecrow)

When I hunt with a breechloader, pump or sxs, the gun is cocked. Therefore when I hunt with my muzzleloader sxs, both hammers are cocked.

I certainly would not walk around with a hammer at full cock! Nor would I try using two fingers on the triggers. I have practiced cocking both hammers as the gun comes up but I do find it awkward and if hammers are widely spaced, impossible. It's very natural to cock one hammer as the gun comes up but slow and awkward to cock the second hammer with gun at shoulder. I often carry two different loads in the two barrels, such as 1 oz. #8 for quail in the right and 1 1/4 oz. #5's in the left for pheasant or even a ball in one barrel. So in practice my double is often two single shots and no reason to cock both. I do always test to be sure the recoil of one barrel does not trip the hammer of the other. :shake: :shake:

When I do hunt with my double barrel I leave the hammers at "half-cock" and do what is required based on the target. When I was goose hunting from a blind this fall a small flock of geese came in to the decoys. As I raised the barrels I cock the right side, I don't know exactly when I cocked the second hammer; but I did get a double.

I believe that if you use a double, most of the time you don't even recall when you cock the hammer or moved your finger to fire the second shot. I when know I tried to shoot a modern firearm at the skeet range, I pulled the trigger then I pulled the trigger guard. It was a little bit embarrassing. :eek: Old habits are hard to break.

Sincerely
AJ/OH

I hunt with both bbls at half cock, cock the right bbl as the gun comes up...if I was dealing with an intruder, I'd be using my .44 Ruger Vaquero...there are times when efficiency outweighs period correct...Hank

I am like AJ/OH. I run around 1/2 cocked and when game becomes apparent, both barrels are cocked. I am not sure how I do it, it just happens. I do shoot allot of SxS shotgun. I guess it just comes with lots of use that it becomes second nature. AJ, none of my even modern SxS's are single triggered. I am so used to double triggers, I can't imagine any other way.

When you go for the back trigger, do you add extra bend to your trigger finger or do you slide you hand further down the wrist?

I always slide, even when I'm in a hurry, can't help it :huh:

Move/walk with both hammers all the way down on the cap/nipple. Cock right hammer when prepqaring to fire. Only 1 finger inside the trigger guard. Left hammer cocked after right barrel fired.

rayb

When you go for the back trigger, do you add extra bend to your trigger finger or do you slide you hand further down the wrist?

I always slide, even when I'm in a hurry, can't help it :huh:

I have found that however you practise is the way you will preform under pressure.
I have done so much shooting in competition, and practise for it, that I conduct myself the same way in the field.
Not entirely a bad thing, some do think it is strange to reload and never look at the gun. But I do it and never think about it.

Hairsmith

I leave it on half cock until ready to fire. But unlike most everyone eles, i fire the left barrel first. I find it easier to reach the rt. hammer for a follow up shot if needed. Both my barrel are cylinder bore.

I leave it on half cock until ready to fire. But unlike most everyone eles, i fire the left barrel first. I find it easier to reach the rt. hammer for a follow up shot if needed. Both my barrel are cylinder bore.

Same with my Navy Arms .12...and I had thought about using the left barrel first too...but here in North Carolina going after September doves, it's so hot you wear a short sleeve shirt, and the cap blast from the left lock is sharp on the inside of my left forarm...so I stayed with the right barrel first as it got used the most.

Just thinking about this again right now though, I could probably just get a couple of those large size (long) sweat band cuffs and slide them on that forarm...have something to wipe my eyes with occasionally too...have to remember that when Labor Day gets here!

That's a good idea there, it would seem more natural to do the right barrel in a hurry...

Gee, i had a good idea? What's the world coming to? :: Actually, it just seems more natural for me that way. It's a lt easier to reach that rt. hammer than the left for a follow up.

The little ive gotten to use mine hunting rabbits was to cock the right and fire and cock the left if needed .

I use SXS a lot , love them . Because I also shoot old hammer cartridge doubles with
BP Paper shells and since these in most cases have no safety and no half cock I have come to the habit of never cocking until the pull.
So with my SXS muzzle loader I leave the hammers forward . With the cartridge guns I carry them open as well as its real easy to catch a hammer on a limb and have it drop if it isn

I've been into firearms all by life, shooting them, looking at them, reading about them, but I sure never seen one of those "left handed doubles". Has anyone? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back