• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dressing whet stones???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know it was on here, but I cant find it now.
I am unable to locate the plate made to dress whet stones anywhere.
However somewhere on this sight it was said that it could be done using wet and dry sand paper. I think it said 1000 grit. But that sure dont seem coarse enough?
Anyone know for sure???
Thanks

A diamond plate never needs to be dressed and it won't brake if you drop it.

Just use some sand paper on a nice flat piece of stone tile from your local box store like Supercracker suggested. Use whatever grit you need. This will depend on how much flattening your stone needs. Just like sanding a piece of wood, start with the coarse paper and work down to the finer grades. Just how fine will depend on how fine your stone is. It wouldn't make sense to use 220 grit sand paper on a coarse stone nor to quit with a coarse grade of sandpaper for a fine stone. Wet or Dry sandpaper on a flat backing with plenty of water on your paper and plenty of elbow grease and you will end up with a flat stone.

A good trick about using sandpaper on a tile/plate. Use spray adhesive to stick down the paper but instead of waiting for it to dry before applying the paper, spray it on and then immediately stick it to the tile. It will form a strong enough bond to hold it in place while you're working, but still weak enough to peel the paper right off afterwards. A wipe or two with some acetone and the tile is cleaned right up.

I have a 1' square piece of 1/2" plate glass I use to flatten my Japanese waterstones... works great.
Wes

Now and again I run across old whetstones that are so dished out they're about useless. Yet the stone itself is top quality.

Got myself one of these and it's pure magic. You can take the most dished out stone back to flat in no time at all, then finish it any way you want.

Back