• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drew CO muzzleloader cow elk tag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking forward to September in the high country; the best hunting I know of.

Need to tune up NE'er and Renegade and see if NE'er is still 1st string. .535 rb.
Will be first critter I've taken with muzzleloader.

How hard is it for a non-resident to draw a CO muzzleloader cow elk tag. I plan on applying next year - I have no preference points.

I have always applied as a resident. The area I've been in lately I have drawn 3 years in a row with 0 points. Other hunt units would not be possible. It is a rugged area; minumum roads, access.

The state parks and wildlife website gives draw results, odds for drawing.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the website, I guess if I don't draw, I can hunt with a muzzleloader with a OTC tag in the 2nd rifle season.

That is my plan too. I apply to a unit that has OTC tags. So I'm studying one unit. Although if I'm hunting in the general rifle season I'm not to proud that I hunt with a Ruger #1.

We started MLer elk hunting in Colorado in 1986 and usually rec'd a cow/bull license every year w/o a preference point. Gradually the preference points req'd increased every few years and in the area I used to hunt and my son still does, the points needed are now between 3-4. It varies by GMU and some require 10 preference points.

Also the price for non-resident elk licenses has nearly tripled since 1987. I think it's just under $500 now. My son applies for the either sex license.

We always did a do it yourself hunt and early on, the total trip cost was $600 each including gas from Wisconsin and all food, etc. Now the license is nearly that much

I guess Colorado supports all their wildlife programs from non-resident license fees.......Fred

Fred I think it's a little over 500 now. They add the fishing license on to the tag now. That's for a Bull tag. The area I apply for takes 3 points for a Muzzle loader tag now. It was an open area till a few years ago. Guess I will get to go next year as I have 2 now. I had 5 and drew into an area and then had a heart attack and lost the points. Hated loosing the points more than having the Heart attack. :grin: Larry

Good luck in the future in both gaining a license and being able to hunt. At 82 I no longer hunt and really do miss it.....Fred

Got the ml deer but elk draw was for Jan rifle season so grandson can hunt with us. ML is an option but will probably use an old milsurp.

No lope.

Waiting for leftover list almost as much fun as waiting for the draw!

flehto said:
Good luck in the future in both gaining a license and being able to hunt. At 82 I no longer hunt and really do miss it.....Fred

Gosh flehto, I don't know your situation, but
if it is the walk/hauling out that's stopping you, WY antelope might be the hunt for you. Not a hard tag to get, and they can be ambushed so close to dirt roads, if you can shoot 75 yards & walk 150 -200 yards you got a chance at antelope.

Like I said, I don't know your situation but If you give it a try (work permitting) I'd come play pack mule for ya (cost ya some hunting stories & you would have to pretend my jokes are all funny).

I have a cousin in Evanston WY that is retired (71) & flat lives to hunt. I bet we could talk him into coming along.

Think on it :hmm: you can PM me.

Thanks for the offer, but besides being 82, there are other physical problems related to having had bladder cancer. They removed mine and replaced it w/ one made from my intestine...diarhea is one of the resultant problems. Oh well....just building LRs isn't too bad for a hobby. Thanks again....Fred

I drew M/L cow elk and buck deer in 7,8,9,19,191. If you see a guy running around in funny clothes with a flintlock, stop by and say hello!

"funny clothes" + a blaze orange hat & vest :nono: and sign the license (read it 1st two spots to sign, one when you have game down & one you sign now.)

Latest posts

Back