• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drilling Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a rear sight for my Pedersoli .50 cal(Blue Ridge) rifle is 6" long so that I can get the rear sight closer to my eyes.I need to drill and tap a hole so that I can take the side to side movement out of the sight. The wall thickness of the barrel is .200". I was thinking of using an 8-32 screw. How deep can I go and still be safe?

I'd use the dove tail depth as a guide if that would work. You can just measure how deep they put the dovetail.

A finer thread would probably be better. More threads in the same depth hole. That is why modern rifles use 48 threads to the inch screws for sights.

A small round hole is perfectly safe at almost any depth in a muzzle loading rifle. Just don't go into the bore. I would use a #6-40 as apposed to a 8-32 .
At a chamber pressure of 12000 psi the pressure on a #6 screw is only about 200 lbs. You will never blow it out and it has a negligible effect on the barrel strength. you need the fine threads on a short hole. Pedersoli barrels are made of tough steel. It wouldn't worry me in the least.

Back