• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drum powder measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Nick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Im thinking of picking up a drum type powder measure. This would be the type that's mounted on a stand like reloaders use. I understand that you have to be carefull about what material they are made from if you use black powder. I heard that some can create a static electric spark when used with black powder. Any one have advice on selection? Could you just use any powder measure an connect a ground wire to it?

I've always been told not to use anything plastic to keep blackpower in as it can cause static. This has puzzeled me over the years as I see many plastic containers for quick loads and such, not to mention all those that have used 35mm film cans.

i'm useing a old chalk line bottle right now till i git a horn built....and no static YET..................bob

Stoat, I just read that web site, very interesting. I recall now that Lyman advertises thier special drum measure for BP to prevent static electricity. Now I wonder if the whole business of using a special powder measure for BP is just a myth and you could use any measure you want to without concern?

I believe static won't set BP off.
I have even seen primeing containers made with plastic.
If you are worried about it , just run a ground wire from the plastic to a ground and it will work just as a ground wire on a plastic dust collector pipe.
I have one on my dust collector and would NOT use it with out a ground wire. Dust will explode with static. Totaly different than BP though.
I have used plastic with all types of powder and have not had any problems as of yet. :results:

Woody

Static is not an explosive problem with the measure, but an accuracy, and flow problem. The static will cause inaccurate and inconsistant drops of the powder, and clumping of it also. That's why they make them anti-static. Bill

Wouldn't this also happen with smokeless powder?
Yes, that's why they are made of static free materials, yet some smokeless powders still cling and cause problems, especially the flake shotgun powders. Actually I think the aluminum ones are the best, but it seems everyone wants to see how much powder is in the measure. Best bet is to always RTM ( read the manual) Bill

Lyman list a special drum measure for BP that is static free. I guess if they are all static free you can use any of them. I wonder why they list a special "static free" one for BP.

Back