• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dual ball hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A great afternoon was had with my .45 front stuffer.
Loaded with two .440 balls it makes a great small game getter with some power to spare.
I was after a rabbit and they are scarce but had a doe moving in some bramble 20 yards away.
I could see her but it was so thick I could not locate her head!
After ten minutes she moved her head and I got a fix on it, two brambles formed a cross for me to aim at, bingo!

Looking for another was very difficult.
I only saw five all day but no shots.
The good thing was though whilst stalking a wood I bumped a deer up but could not identify it well.
I attempted to go around the wood to try and get a better look at it.

While I was on that I then bumped a fox out of its bed! Right in front of me the drowsy fox slipped directly away from me, me shielded by small trees.
I got ready and started mouse squeaking.
The vixen slowly made its way back to me.

As it stepped in to a clearing quartering on the smooth rifle settled on its neck and shoulder joint, boom and smoke bellowed out.
As the smoke cleared I could see it was over for the vixen.
27yards.

B.

Nice fox n bunny! I may get out today, might still be too muddy. We had 35" snow three weeks ago but all melted. Roads may be too soft, we'll see.

Double ball on fox? where did they hit if so, looks like one visible in pic.

:thumbsup:

Britsmoothy, just curious do you patch each ball separately or send them down with one big patch? Thanks, Finnbarr

Finnbarr said:
Britsmoothy, just curious do you patch each ball separately or send them down with one big patch? Thanks, Finnbarr
This load uses the same measure I use for 5/8oz of shot but for powder.
A thin card, thin wet leather wad, ball, thin wet leather wad, ball and another thin card. Rammed together.
No patches.

B.

Good shooting Brits...Another great outing..

How far do travel from home to get to your hunting areas?

Whats the country side look like?

Never been overseas...Thanks...Dan

Back