• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ducks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What choke do you prefer for ducks, and do you like a single or a double. I found a nice single but with full choke.

I have a double 12 ga that I mess around with from time to time. Have taken it jump hunting ducks a few times I will tell ya from experience the follow up shot it a very nice feature to finish off any crippled birds with. Cuz by the time you reload a single the birds done swamp outta sight.

I've been using doubles with cylinder bores for a long, long time. The extra barrel is priceless for followups, as 2Tall says. With a little load work I managed very good duck killing patterns to 30 yards plus a bit. All I have to do is set the decoys a little closer and use a little restraint on the temptation to try longer shots.

Inside 30 yards I almost always outscore my pards shooting modern guns. Their superfull wonderchokes have a pattern about the size of a teacup at closer ranges, and they can't hit poop with them. Most have taken to using really open chokes when they hunt with me, and their scores have gone up. The way I hunt, your full choke would be more of a handicap than a help, but you ought to do better if you push the decoys back a little.

Double barrel 10, chrome lined bores with interchangeable chokes, modified and full.

Modified on the right barrel and full on the left, if hunting open coastal marsh, shots are long. Flooded timber, open and modified aligned as before.

Double sighting beads.

The left lock will need to be worked on, it's made so the lock will not fire if both locks are cocked and the right is fired. It's a safety thing.

A removable sling from the Leatherman.

For the quality, Pedersoli cannot be beat.

rde

cylinder for hard nontoxic
ic or mod or full for soft nontoxic
singles and double bbls... persuction and flint.
30-35 yard limit. ducks and geese.
Think head shots.

Back